• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I performed this mod over the weekend
    Quite pleased with the results!!
    Thanks guys!!

Comment

Originally posted by dbuenger

So the only thing you have to do for this mod to work is just cut those pieces ^ out of the upper grill??
      '03 Sunlight Silver Metallic ES
      -Window Tint
      -MS Sport Exhaust

Comment

Pretty much, see how in pic u got those 3 supporting strips
        well i only got 1, tried to have 2 but one snapped while cutting away with pocket knife
        doesnt make much difference, still pretty strong with only 1 supporting strip

Comment

Originally posted by ProtegeDriva
          So the only thing you have to do for this mod to work is just cut those pieces ^ out of the upper grill??
          As posted above that's about it. You can remove just about all the material in the area, although I would suggest leaving some structure in.

You'll be amazed at the difference you get just by cutting a little material away. cheap, but VERY effective mod.

Comment

This is prolly a dumb question, but what are we gaining by doing this mod besides revving up quicker? I'm thinkin about doin it and was just curious...
            '03 Sunlight Silver Metallic ES
            -Window Tint
            -MS Sport Exhaust

Comment

This is prolly a dumb question, but what are we gaining by doing this mod besides revving up quicker? I'm thinkin about doin it and was just curious...

02 DX Millenium Red
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Now that I've recovered my ability to respond, I strongly advise you to read the entire thread before you ask this kind of question. Yes, it is a dumb question and I couldn't begin to answer it because it would require rehashing the entire contents of this thread. Read the thread and I and others would be happy to try to answer any relevant questions you might have. Anything else would be a waste of our member's time and our Forum space.

02 DX Millenium Red
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

revving quicker means faster acceleration.

2000 White Protege LX
                  Sumitomo 195/60HR14
                  2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
                  Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
                  Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
                  Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
                  Kenwood Music Keg
                  Black Widow Keyless Entry
                  Intake- Custom SRI
                  Clear Corner Lights
                  APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

Goldstar,
                    Here's one more "thank you" for writing this up and starting this thread. I made this mod about a month or two ago and have been very pleased (though I still want to clean up the edges around where I cut when it gets warmer). Engine seems to breath better, rev faster and sounds better.

Thanks also to all of the other posters who've tried this, esp. those who posted pics. Without all of you guys trying this first, I might not have attemtped this. Write-ups like this are what make this forum great. Thanks!

Comment

gar777,

Welcome to the Forum. I'm glad the mod worked out so well for you. Yes, it's probably a good idea (did it myself) to smooth out the edges of the cut area as it may reduce the turbulence of the incoming air. Anything that reduces the turbulence of the air flowing between the grill and the inlet to the snorkel is probably beneficial in terms of maximizing the volume of air actually ingested. I don't know how much of a positive effect this might have but since it's easy to do, it's worth doing, just in case. Also, it looks nicer and gives a kind of OEM quality appearance to the mod.

02 DX Millenium Red

Comment

i cut out the piece of the grill and took out my MAF screen last night. My pro revs and shifts smoother and has a little more power.
                        excellent results for a no cost mod.
                        Thanks everyone.
                        2002.5 protege dx

Comment

Originally posted by TayTay
                          I performed this mod but I changed it a little bit. Instead of cutting the whole piece out, I cut the front and the sides of it. I then took a blowtorch (set very very low) and ran it along the edge still connected until it softened the plastic enough for me to bend it. I bent it down at an angle so that the air comes in through the grill and is forced into the intake. It doesn't look too pretty but I can sure feel a difference in the power. Not too bad for a free mod.
                          just wondering if you attempted to keep the structural support of the plastic piece by cutting sections (as dbuenger did) and bending or was it just one flap? also, can you post some pics when you get a chance? thanks

Comment

i couldnt find a screen on my MAF either

2000 White Protege LX
                            Sumitomo 195/60HR14
                            2 x Polk DB570 (5"x7")
                            Kenwood KDC-MP522 Head Unit
                            Kenwood KAC-7251 (800 W) Amp
                            Audiobahn AWC10T x 2 Subs
                            Kenwood Music Keg
                            Black Widow Keyless Entry
                            Intake- Custom SRI
                            Clear Corner Lights
                            APC Clear Tail Lights

Comment

Built a scoop for my intake

Well, after the inspiring input about bending the current plastic to make a scoop and realising that I already ripped mine up to bits i thought id make one myself.

I used .5mm Clear plastic sheeting (the firm stuff) and cut out the rough profile of what id need. Using a pair of sheering cutters I made the little cuts so that the bottom end would lock into the grille of my car. I then rough bent the rest of the shape in place and using a pencil blowtorch I softened the plastic so that it would "mould over" the parts already in the car. However ive run out of lighter gas so I couldnt finish taht bit off.

The only real problem i had was with the horn. I had to reverse its position so that it would be facing (but not touching) the radiator. In the process my old man stepped on it and after alot of fscking around now it sounds like its grown a pair of testicles! Anyway you can see below how it looks.

The improvement is very noticable at speed. When idle and not moving it does bugger all over the exisitng mod, but after about 40kph (25mph i believe) the engine revs like a knife through butter, the overall performance is very noticable and the engine purrs beautifully, not to mention that now i barely touch the accellerator when i am at speed.

One interesting note is that I went down a fairly large hill (about a 35 degree decent that went for 1km (.6 miles i think) in idle and watching the rev counter normally at idle i do about 5-600 rpm, when going down this hill in
                              neutral it went up to about 1100 rpm without touching the accellerator at all!

Anyway the pics are below;

Side view of the scoop. I had to cut a bit out of the side as it was getting in the way of some nuts.

Top view, as you can see i had to make "V" cuts so that it could sit inbetween the grille of my car.

Here is the reversed horn. It's a bitch to move because that cable that connects to it is soldered straight to the horn and I really wasnt in the mood to be doing any soldering work today.

Top view of the scoop installed.

view from the grille, the cool thing with the plastic is that you really don't notice its there unless you look.

I did this mod because i had to abandon my other intake mod. Turns out that the front bumper assembly is different between the ford laser and the mazda 323, probably to accomodate the different bumpers, but there's a solid wall where there isnt one in the 323. Unfortuatley that project had to be abandoned.

Also there has been little to no change in my engine temp, it doesnt seem to be affecting the radiator all too much.
                              Diary of a nerd;
                              A life? Cool! Where can i download one of those from?

Mazda 323 trapped in a Ford Laser body! Thats my story

Comment

Another thing to note,

Removing the nuts (hehe nuts) on my car were an absoloute biatch. I dont know if its the same with mazda's but they tightened those nuts till they would just about break. The best way to remove the nuts (e.g. the one holding the horn in place) is to get a ring spanner that fits, get a hammer and some WD40 or fishoil. Spray a small amount of fish oil on the nut, then put the ring spanner on it and tap it with the hammer a few times. This'll save you from stripping to **** your nuts until you cant use them.
                                Diary of a nerd;
                                A life? Cool! Where can i download one of those from?

Mazda 323 trapped in a Ford Laser body! Thats my story

Comment

Working...
                                X