This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhintake questions

i know there is more info on this subject but i cant find a whole lot. i just got an extra exaust cam from the jy and need to know how to install it. i know you have to cut the end off. the real question is:
    1) the cam gear(stock)how exactly do you position it? if you look at the back of the cam gear there is 2 notches 1 for the exaust and 1 for the intake. since it cam of the exaust would i switch the notch to the intake notch?

EDIT(bpt323)- pictures of install as follows
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Turpro; 10-21-2006, 01:57 PM.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

I'm also wondering this, as I picked up an extra exhaust cam from the yard a few weeks ago...

Also, to cut the end off, can it be hack-sawed off or pipe cuttered(?) off, or does it have to be professionally lathed off?

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

I would use a lathe. Thats the only way to do it properly without ****ing up a journal.
      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

I just cut it off using a cutting wheel, then cleaned it up on the bench grinder. I wrapped up the cam in a cloth and tightened it loosely in the vice when I was cutting of the CAS end. Just make sure the end is clean and smooth, and no metal bits are going to fall off it when it's spinning at 3500RPM.

I don't recommend installing it with a non-adjustable cam gear, but I'll tell you how to do it to get it as close as possible to where you need it.

You know how there's a mark in one of the teeth that tells you it's the top? Well, find the tooth that is directly opposite that on the bottom. Now count 3 teeth to the left(counter-clockwise) of that one. Now mark that tooth, as it's your new 'top' tooth. Install the cam as you would the old intake cam, but align that as your top.

The thing is, you're now still 6° off where you should be, and will probably be down a few hp from what I got. An adjustable cam gear, and a dyno is what you need next. Playing with A/F ratios using the AFM will also net 1-2 more hp after this.

Comment

Cool. So with the 6° off, how much more power is there, generally? Any problems with it being off running wise?

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
          On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
          My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid
            Cool. So with the 6° off, how much more power is there, generally? Any problems with it being off running wise?

I'd say 2-3whp off, with absolutely no effect on how it runs. I had the cam initially installed 45° off, and it still idled ok.

Comment

how about this....
              exhintake cam: rotate exhaust cam 180° then rotate it 3 teeth clockwise,
              set the intake side at 5° advanced
              set the exhaust side at 1° retarded (helps bring some torque back & steady the A/F ratio earlier.)
              that yeilds the best results. each motor is different but bringing the intake side with less advance significantly improved driveability & slightly increase power.

Josh I've been meaning to get some specs setup for this exhintake cam setup
              specs im looking to get would be
              Intake open BTDC
              intake close ABDC
              from there I can figure out overlap & yadda yadda.
              im not the greatest at working on the roatation chart any extra help is appreciated.
              we should actually make this a legit write up as a performance mod. with all specs included.
              let me know what you think.
              Ryan
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I won't be able to reason that one out til I have the old cam gears in my hand, and measure the tooth and angle differences(I can't visualize it by memory). Your speculation on cam timing is hard to justify until we actually know true cam timing. I don't know the exhintake lobe centre timing, so everything is speculation. 5° more advanced is now what you want however, since my starting point on the dyno was in the neutral(with 3 whole teeth advanced). We retarded cam timing 6° from that spot, which got me the power level I'm at now. There's not a whole lot of torque loss with this setup. In fact, my dyno run is a bit flawed. I started this run about 700RPM later than usual, and the first 500RPM contains drivetrain shutter. I'd wager that there is absolutely no loss in low-end whatsoever with this setup.

Comment

I thought you had to do a little grinding on the lobes.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
                  98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by photoeye0
                    I thought you had to do a little grinding on the lobes.
                    What would make you think that?

Comment

I don't, I could have swore someone told me thats what you had to do, maybe I just misread it.

So you just pull a cam, cut the timimg gear off, turn it 180*, and dyno tune?

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
                      98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

OK!, well folks as always dynotuning is the key... changed from 5° advance to 5° retard.... makes a change..... a little smoother down low. we need specifics.... id like to go back & tune my car again. but with it all ****e dup theres no point.
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by photoeye0
                          I don't, I could have swore someone told me thats what you had to do, maybe I just misread it.

So you just pull a cam, cut the timimg gear off, turn it 180*, and dyno tune?
                          180° plus 3 whole teeth clockwise. It's not quite as simple as 'turn it to 180°' either. You have to know how to install a cam, and set cam timing. It's really pretty basic, but just gets confusing with the exhintake cam.

bpt323, so what's the deal? You already have the cam installed?

Comment

Yes!, i've been running it for quite awhile now. ran it untuned for awhile. tuned it & posted dyno results. & now once again its untuned* I went back & changed the advance to retard.
                            I could of sworn the first time i took directions from you you said advance, must have been mistaken tho.

honestly it is pretty simple. place the adjustable cam gear on the cam the normal way you would. leave it set at 0° use a ruler & move straight across the cam gear & put a mark on the other side where it lands. Install the cam & pretend like your timing it. Then move it three teeth clock wise from there. then dyno tune it.
                            Last edited by FE3-323; 11-07-2005, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Where's your dyno at? Did you do a before/after dyno?

Comment

Working...
                              X