KLZE swap plans for 06.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KLZE swap plans for 06.....

this engine would be putting out 192hp in stock form...
    im drawing up my plans to swap in a KLZE j-spec probe engine into the 97 protege LX.... since i used to own a PGT and miss it i can now have the best of both worlds.
    so i been talking with a member on probetalk who has helped me a bit, he has done the KLDE swap on a 93 protege, his swap went in no problem...now the only thing that may hold us back is a crossmember....are they the same or at least real similar in the 97 as the 93?
    here is what we came up with ide need for this swap so far...

Mx3 GS/Mx6/probe V6 Tranny
    Mx3 GS Axles
    Mx3 GS Crossmember (lower)
    MX3 GS Passenger side mount
    MX3 GS Shifter LInkage
    Mx3 GS Wire Engine Harness
    Mx3 GS Brake Booster hose
    ide most likely need the KLZE ECU right?
    i may do a complete rebuild with the engine before it goes in as well....
    mod list would be....
    MR.speed supercharger kit LINK
    PRD underdrive pulley
    fidenza 9lb flywheel
    67mm Throttle Body
    MSD 6A ignition kit
    WISECO pistons set:for Millenia S rods
    Millenia S rods
    flatlander valves
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    440cc mustang cobra injectors
    Cosmo FPR LINK
    MSD 8.5mm Plugs Wires
    034EFI Supplementary Injector controller
    still hunting down more stuff....but what do you guys think? ill be posting step by step pics when i get this off the ground...hopefully this next month i can start rip-down of the ZE engine.....wish me luck :D
    1997 mazda Protege LX -4 12" subs,clarion DVD player,clarion H/U
    1998 fordF-150 -lowered 6" 20in rims,custom flames,roush side exit exhaust...etc.
    1993 Ford Probe GT -New project.
    advertisement car:1993 acura NSX ,widebody kit,lambo orange paint,etc.
    new advertisement car-1991 nissan 300ZX TT

man, you have no clue how much people will actually be checking this thread once you begin. i bet this thread would compete with the number of "posts" and "hits"as did intruder's BP swap thread did.

i wish you all the best.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

thanks, but like i said im just scratching around...just getting started, but i have a pretty good idea of what i want.
      still trying to locate a cross member in my area for a 93 protege so i can compare mine to it....if it needs modifying, that should be no problem as my dad works maintinence at the foundry, so he has everything he needs to do the fabrications i need once i give him the measurements....
      man this will be a long journey, but hey...it will keep me out of trouble...till its done at least lol
      1998 fordF-150 -lowered 6" 20in rims,custom flames,roush side exit exhaust...etc.

Comment

Also, on a non-related note, whenever possible = put your location in your profile.
        just for future cases.

Comment

TheMAN is right from the standpoint of part numbers and diagrams. I second the notion to caution you in attempting this swap with Protege/MX-3 parts.

That being said, I don't think anyone has physically attempted this or has compared the main parts (mounts, crossmember, rad placement, etc..) side by side. You state that you have access to fabrication and that you have prior knowledge of the K engines. This makes you a good candidate to be the first to physically try this swap.

beetle_orange is correct in saying that this thread will be very closely watched by many. I wish you all the best and would like to suggest that you consider the possibility of using parts from the 94-98 Lantis which came with the KF-ZE and shared immense similarities with the second generation Protege. You may want to read this thread closely; http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19008. Keep us updated as many will be pulling for you.

Good luck!
          1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

Good Luck, I hope it works out. Good luck fitting a supercharger in that engine bay.
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

lets hope i can be different and pull this off then huh? thanks everyone for your input and everything...
              it will suck if i have to scrap the project though, lol....but at least ill know then right?

sorry, i never got to my location...im in wisconsin....

thanks again

Comment

I don't think it will come down to scrapping the project unless money is a serious issue.

And yes, the supercharger may be a strech. Don't forget your Protege is lighter and smaller than the probe. It should be a real beast with just the properly running KL.

Keep us updated!

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

wisconsin.....close to me!

hey if they were able to do it in malaysia i guess we could try too.
                  Last edited by beetle_orange; 12-17-2005, 08:01 PM.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
                  Mods:
                  DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
                  http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

I agree there are (at least) visual differences in the way the subframe and crossmember are shaped and positioned. I've been under my 323 many times and a few times under the Protege this summer. None of the parts looked exactly the same. I've never been under a V6 Mx-3 though.

Despite the different parts, the general layout looks very similar between the first and second gen 4 cylinders. What I would like to see is if and how much work is required to get the V6 crossmember to bolt to the second gen subframe. It may just be a case of modifying the subframe and crossmember to get everything to line up right. I would realy like to see some pics of the empty engine bays (with only the subframe and crossmember remaining) of a V6 MX-3 and a second gen. Protege.

Worst case, he can fab a new crossmember completely based on the V6 one but made to fit the Protege engine compartment. I don't mean to make it sound easy but it has to be possible.

The ideal situation is absolutely to use Lantis parts as I was trying to hint at in my post. That would be the most logical course of action and the way I would do it personally. Otherwise he should expect some degree of fabrication. To what extent I dont know. I guess there's only one way to find out right?

Much more to come...

Comment

Good luck....Just dont make this Another wish list thread...(no offense)

Comment

no offense taken....if this does not work out i can always just buy a probe skeleton and throw the ZE in there so either way i guess i wont lose totally...

Comment

So, what happened to the bragging of your KL project. Another dream seller trippin on ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                            have you even LOOKED under the car of a 1st gen and 2nd gen? the crossmembers are VERY different, so NO, it won't work
                            Not to try to be dick, but look under the hood of any stock 1930's car...what do you see? look at their mounts, and all their stuff. Now, how many different engines have ended up in their bay's? Just because it's not a bolt in doesnt mean it cant be done with a little will-power enginuity, and money never hurts either. So what if he might not be able to buy a kit to drop it in...isnt that half the fun, knowing its there because you did it?

Mods:
                            JDM Headlights + Corners
                            JDM Tailights
                            1st Gen LX Black Wheels
                            Shaved Side Mouldings
                            Second hand 'High-Flow' Muffler
                            Cone Filter
                            KYB GR-2's + Perf Lowering Springs
                            E-Bay front strut bar
                            Gauge cluster swap w/ Tach + Indiglo gauges
                            40% Tint on side windows, 20% on rear
                            and the best custom 3rd brake light overlay...'ZOOM'

Comment

Hey... I chanced upon this thread, and just registered just so I could clear up a few things. This swap HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE. So it's not just a pipe dream. In fact, for a while, a company was selling a swap kit for it, for anyone else that wanted to do it. Just throwing that out there for you guys. So don't be discouraged.

Comment

Working...
                              X