1.6 flywheel and clutch on a 1.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.6 flywheel and clutch on a 1.8?

I have been doing a bunch of research concerning different types of lightweight flywheels and on the miata forum many have put a 1.6 clutch and flywheel on the 1.8 and love it... now i know their trans are different but is it possible to do that on the bp? i have a mx3 that i'm putting a bp in and i'm still going back and forth on the drive train and i want to look at all my options including awd vs fwd so i was curious if i can use a 1.6L clutch and flywheel on the f series FWD trans? or will that trans only accept the 1.8L clutch?
    In the Garage
    Black 93 MX-3 GS
    Bp powered
    GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
    MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

My F-Series in my 1.8L DOHC BP MX-3 is currently using a 1.6L Clutch & Flywheel.

Comment

which clutch is it? i'm assuming the flywheel is the same that the miata uses?
      In the Garage
      Black 93 MX-3 GS
      Bp powered
      GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
      MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

yes you can use 1.6L stuff in the 1.8L tranny.

The otherway around DOES NOT work, as the F series(1.6L) is slightly smaller than the G series (1.8L)

just get the correct flywheel to go with the correct clutch and you should be fine.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by projectmx
          which clutch is it? i'm assuming the flywheel is the same that the miata uses?
          the 1.6 clutch and flywheel are different for the miata but d323 is correct you can use the 1.6L clutch and flywheel from a 323 on the G
          "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
          -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
          *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
          172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
          New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

My clutch is a Spec Stage 2 clutch for the 1.6L MX-3, and my flywheel is from the 1.6L MX-3 (SOHC)

Comment

Originally posted by D323
              yes you can use 1.6L stuff in the 1.8L tranny.

The otherway around DOES NOT work, as the F series(1.6L) is slightly smaller than the G series (1.8L)

just get the correct flywheel to go with the correct clutch and you should be fine.

Exactamungo! The G-type will fit on a 1.6 but the G-type clutch and flywheel will not. and vise versa.
              www.gopostal.com

If NISMO stands for NISsan MOtorsports . . . . Does HOMO stand for HOnda MOtorsports ?

Comment

a g-series tranny will not fit into a f-series clutch disc. the splines shafts are not the same size let alone the same count.

NEUMAN

Comment

Does this mean that the miata clutch cannot work for the f-series gearbox?
                  Assumption is the mother of all fcukups

Comment

Originally posted by TwinCam16

Not as far as I can tell. I havn't tried it but I know someone who has with little success.
                    www.gopostal.com

If NISMO stands for NISsan MOtorsports . . . . Does HOMO stand for HOnda MOtorsports ?

Comment

Originally posted by TwinCam16

The splines are different
                      and easy way to tell is look at the part number for the Pilot tool
                      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

thanks alot
                        i wish it was so..cause there is a much greater variety of miata parts...i am currently lookin for a 6 puck clutch for my protege, but the price of the ACT clutches has me discouraged...i guess i gotta do somemore saving.
                        Assumption is the mother of all fcukups

Comment

Working...
                        X