Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

obd2 idle code?

P0505 Idle Control System Malfunction

that is what I'm pulling... i can't find any info on it online... what does this mean for my protege? how do i fix this? any info on the code?

Bad IAC valve maybe.

I got the same code when I disconnected the plug from mine.

It is the part that bolts to the bottom of the throttle body.

Comment

that really sucks!

i have no idea how to fix that... think it could be my injectors? i'm going to clean them tomorrow.

Comment

could i just order the piece and bolt it on, or is there a lot of other junk i have to remove?

Comment

You would have to take the TB off, replace the IAC valve and its gasket, and put a new TB gasket on before you bolt it back to the intake manifold.

Buying a new IAC from the dealer will cost you ~$230+.

I have a used one if you're interested, but if I were you I'd first try to eliminate other reasons for this code. And no, it's not your injectors.

Comment

what would the other reasons be. I found one site and it told me it could be my injectors, or throttle body are dirty, or a problem with the air intake tube itself, i did just put on a new filter and changed it from the bumper to a short ram into the hood scoop...

Comment

I don't have the FSM with me. I'll look tomorrow.

In the mean time, make sure you have all connectors plugged in where they were. I told you I got the same code because my IAC was unplugged.

I don't think the valve can go bad overnight.

Comment

Just for added information, I'm including the same diagram and the section circled as number 1 is the IAC and it's attached to the section I labled number 2 that is called the BAC. I tried taking the BAC/IAC section apart from the Throttle Body(which is the larger section above the BAC)and it was hard as hell and if you don't use the right size phillilps screwdriver you will ruin the screw heads. I opted not to do it and ended up not needing to. You will then have to get new ones if you ruin the screwheads. As far as getting the whole three-piece part out of the car, it's fairly easy. I would buy the IAC unit Intruder is offering. By the way, the BAC is different and not interchangeable between the 95/96 models and the 97/98 models. I am also including a picture I put on another thread to show you the difference between the two since I have both of them. They both bolt on the same but don't work out the same. I left the hoses attached on one of them but you can still see the difference. The one on the left is the 95/96 version.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by mannydingo; 01-02-2006, 12:11 AM.

Comment

So, which one is easier to take off? The BAC off the TB? Or the IAC off the BAC?

Comment

I did not try. As a matter of fact, as I looked at the IAC, it looked as if it were permanently attached to the BAC. It may possibly be that only after you remove the BAC from the TB can you actually separate the two lower parts. All I know is that the four hard to remove screws are the BAC to the TB. There is no connection between the IAC and the TB. Man, that can really sound confusing to someone who hasn't tinkered with the part the way you and I have. Sorry, Strutman.

Comment

You know, sometimes those screws can have a hex head. Is that not the case? If those had a hex head they would be very easy to take off, but I'm sure you would've thought of that if it was possible.

Comment

Hey, wait a minute. Now that I'm looking at your diagram, I see the two screws that hold the IAC to the BAC. Those do look hex.

Comment

They're not... I just remembered that I have the whole TB here. I looked and none of them are hex. The ones holding the IAC to the BAC require a star (torx?) bit. The ones holding the BAC to the TB are good ol' phillips screws.

Comment

I think there's a reason the IAC itself uses torx screws. I don't think you're supposed to f*ck with it. lol

Comment

I think that's precisely why I, incorrectly, recalled that you were not able to separate the two. It's not that you can't, it's that you're not supposed to. I now remember reading something about something going off whack if you separate the two.

Comment

Working...
                              X