How do you come to a stop in a manual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you come to a stop in a manual?

I've been behind a manual car (the 6) for 4 months or so now and I ran into a situation with some people I work with.

I took a few people out to lunch and as I am coming to a red light I go into neutral and just apply the brakes. A backseat driver starts saying "You're not going to down shift to a stop or anything". It was a gradual stop on level ground so i didn't feel the need to. Then another back seat driver chimes in and agrees with the first one. After they both said they rarely drive stick I threw their comments out the window, so this is why I'm coming to you guys.

I guess in my simple logic I'd rather put more wear on the brakes than clutch cause brake work is less expensive. Am I just being dumb ? If so someone please enlighten me.

This is why I've put up a poll.
    Shift into neutral and apply brakes
    37.41%
    Downshift to a stop while applying brakes
    48.92%
    Don't know wtf you're talking about I stop using my feet like Fred Flinstone
    5.04%
    Other (Please elaborate.)
    8.63%
    ED
    '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
    Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
    WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

I let the rpm's drop or downshift if the shift comes to a reasonable rpm. It does put lots of un-needed wear on the brakes and from what I can tell it doesn't really hurt the clutch at all.

Comment

I usually let the rpm's drop then throw it into neutral and hit the brakes.
      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

I blip the throttle and down-shift while applying the brakes.

Comment

brake pads are cheaper than transmissions.
          89 Supra Turbo
          87 RX-7 TII
          91 dx
          92 dx

Comment

I usually just ram whatever I can find. Stops ya mighty quick.

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

brake pads are mighty cheaper then a clutch or tranny. the ideal way to stop is using the brakes. place the car in neutral & come to a complete stop before putting it into first. second is ok while rolling tho. persay if the light changes. my 2 cents.
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I just keep it in whatever gear it's in while applying the brakes... and put the clutch after i've slowed. I only downshift if i'm anticipating the light to change... in which case I keep it in whatever gear will get me the most oomph for my RPM's so that I can squirt through the light if it does change
                '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Is it true that it is illegal in some states to roll to a stop while in neutral?

Comment

not dumb at all...over-using the clutch instead of the brakes is stupid...thats what they're made for...pads are cheaper than clutches

Comment

i downshift and revmatch... but never to first
                      ever

only time my car see's first gear is when i take off from a stand still

Comment

Originally posted by Marc93lx
                        I usually let the rpm's drop then throw it into neutral and hit the brakes.
                        Me too
                        One day you are born,
                        The next big milestone
                        you discover go zoom-zoom
                        you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

I practice both, depends on the situation. If it's a quick stop, I downshift through the gears. If I'm rolling along at 20mph in traffic, I'll just shift to neutral and solely use the brakes themselves. When more than I am in the car, I downshift all the time because of the increased weight.
                          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I usually kinda do both, if I see a light change or know I'm going to have to stop ahead of time I'll downshift a bit, then use the brakes when I'm closer to where I actually need to stop. Obviously, if I need to stop suddenly I just clutch and mash the brakes. In this case I also usually try to remember to put the lever into the gate for second (leaving the clutch in) just in case I need to maneuver or some such, but that's not all that common.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys. Knew I could count on you guys to clear this up.

Glad I wasn't doing something stupid.

But those backseat drivers were so damn annoying.
                              ED
                              '05 6s 3.0L MT & '98 Pro DX 1.5L AT

Mazda Enthusiast Club Member
                              Click for my CarDomain page

2nd Gen Protege Parts Catalog project in progress
                              WTB: Gray 97/98 Protege Cupholder and Door Trim

Comment

Working...
                              X