shifter trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shifter trouble

so i think im screwed. . . .i went to put in my short shifter yesterday and everything was going good until i went to put the spring back in.the shifter was in the hole i put the bolt back into the linkage and went to put the spring back in and as soon as i pushed down to get it in the groove the whole shifter fell onto the exhaust.what happened was the bushing that is in between the floor and the metal housing that holds the shifter rotted out.so what i did was take the stabilzer bar out and unbolted the plate that holds the shifter in the floor and put it back together how it should be and the filled it up with polyurethane like you would do a motor mount.im still waiting for it to harden up to see if i can at least get the thing home without the shifter falling out of the car.has this happened to anyone??i believe the plate in the floor and the bushing are all one piece that press onto the stabilzer bar so im gonna have to get a new plate for the floor i think.any help here would be very much appreciated. . . thanks guys

lol....a VERY common problem with the 1st gens.....do a quick search and you will find TONS of into.....also check on the FAQs as I think it is covered in there to.

*edit* heres 2 links for you.....search *shifter* and theres tons of topics on it.
    Last edited by 91ProtegeLX; 02-05-2006, 11:05 PM.
    Eat ****.

Comment

thank you so much . . . ill tell ya that really ****in bummed me out when it happened.i thought it just happened to me cause i live in the rust belt but its comforting to know it has happened before.i saw all the fixer upper ways of doing it but the best way would be to get the new plate with the bushing and press it onto that stabilzer shaft right?

Comment

thatd be the best way yes....

But the DIY ways are also worthwhile...
        Eat ****.

Comment

The plate and stabilizer bar are all one piece there is no pressing of anything. At most you need to press the bushing in the end of the bar, I used a table vice for this. The whole unit was $125 from the stealership plus like $8 for an energy suspension bushing.
          Not the sports page Not a magazine

Comment

Drill a hole, put a bolt+locking nut, boom!

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

yeah i drilled up through the stabilizer bar and through the plate in four different spots and used heavy duty metal screws and screwed it together.also i put washers in between the plate and the bar.along with the polyurethane i put in there its pretty stiff and together,i dont think its going anywhere for a while.thanks for all your help guys,very much appreciated

Comment

Working...
              X