Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing trunk release cable ('98 LX)

Hi,

Does anyone know how to diagnose/fix a trunk release cable problem.
    Mine stopped working recently. The Chilton guide is pretty useless
    for showing how the cable is connected to the lock. I can't even find
    the cable when looking at the trunk lid. Do I have to take the lid
    apart? Does anyone have tips/diagrams on this?

Thanks,
    Alak

my car didnt come with one but was able to install one from a wrecked pro. maybe your cables have snapped?

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Problem solved!

I didn't originally check the lower lock assembly on the trunk body. That part has the release from the trunk release cable. I only had to remove one plastic panel around the lock assembly to access the end of the cable. I was fortunate that only the very tip of the cable had broken where the cable stop was attached. I was able to crimp on a bicycle cable cap to the end of the existing cable to fix the problem.

I have read about other people using mountain bike brake cables to replace the cable if it needs replacement. I didn't need to do this in my case.

I took out the lever assembly beside the driver seat in the process of debugging this problem. That was also relatively easy to do; a couple of panels, lift the carpet, remove one bolt and out it comes with the cables still attached. Everything on that end was still good so I just checked it and reinstalled it back in.

Alak.

Comment

Working...
      X