Bad CV joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad CV joint

The driver's side CV joint on my Subaru is wearing out... it clatters like crazy if I turn left under power (it's quiet if I'm coasting or braking), barely makes any noise turning right, and is fine all other times. I know it needs to be replaced... what I'm wondering is how urgent it is. What happens if the joint fails? What exactly does it mean to have the CV joint fail (in other words, does it break into a million pieces all over the road, do I lose power to the wheel, do I lose steering control, etc.)? In OTHER other words, can I justify spending money on unimportant stuff before fixing it?

Originally posted by jnorion
    The driver's side CV joint on my Subaru is wearing out... it clatters like crazy if I turn left under power (it's quiet if I'm coasting or braking), barely makes any noise turning right, and is fine all other times. I know it needs to be replaced... what I'm wondering is how urgent it is. What happens if the joint fails? What exactly does it mean to have the CV joint fail (in other words, does it break into a million pieces all over the road, do I lose power to the wheel, do I lose steering control, etc.)? In OTHER other words, can I justify spending money on unimportant stuff before fixing it?
    Assuming your boot is ripped and the grease is gone you can just bandaid it for now as i'm doing on my beater. Open up the boot with fingers, insert grease, and use ziptie for half ass closed boot. Sure it still comes out but the clicking went away! But back to your question. Yeah usually it just breaks and nothing bad happens but obviously if your doing like 80 and it breaks hmmmm... no thanks. Bandaid it or replace it soon!

PS: Concerning my bandaid fix. I tend to redo it every few weeks depending on how much i drive to just refill it with grease.
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

The thing's already damaged, though. Even if I put grease in it and the clicking goes away it's still on its way out.

Still not quite sure what actually happens when it breaks though.

Comment

I broke one in a talon TSI fwd - didnt do much but feel like it went into neutral.

According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

The thing's already damaged, though. Even if I put grease in it and the clicking goes away it's still on its way out.

Still not quite sure what actually happens when it breaks though.
          Yeah but driving it dry will make it die ALOT sooner then regreasing it and making the ticking stop! And clearly you know its gonna die so then you should be changing it shouldn't you!
          **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**

Comment

Who cares, hes getting fat. His car needs to break so he can get some xcercise.
            According to my Anger Management Counselor, after 26 weeks of anger management class, I should be an expert when it comes to Anger Management...tell that to the guy who threw a starburst at my car in rush hour traffic...haha

Todays thought of the day:

Rice is great if your really hungry and want to eat 2000 of something.

Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Ha, thanks for the encouragement.

OK, I'll do the important part first and save the fun spending for later.

Comment

Ha, thanks for the encouragement.

OK, I'll do the important part first and save the fun spending for later.
                Good decision!

Comment

A car came into the shop awhile back, the axle had come apart(inner side). Easy fix-right? Got another axle on it, fired it up on the lift and went through all the gears. No problems...
                  Lifted it back up and went to clean the mess up underneath, kept getting oil drips on my shoulder. Axle had hit the tranny housing and punched a hole in it..
                  The tranny came out, and since no replacements were available, we ended up gutting it and having the housing welded up.

I'd say fix it before something happens.
                  Current-'08 MZ3 Hatch auto, '04 MZ3 Hatch 5-spd, '03 Pro-Lx 5 spd,
                  '56 VW Cal Ragtop
                  www.cardomain.com/ride/2285117/1

Comment

sorry for the thread revival. I too am having clicking noises when turning the steering wheel. past experience on my '95 protégé concluded it was CV joints, however that cost me $1500 for parts and labor at a local mechanic. I inspected the axles and found no leaks, no tears/cracks in the boots (in fact the boots looked almost new). can these still fail without a torn boot? in other words, what other areas could cause the clicking. car is at 130,000 original miles

Comment

Originally posted by meGrimlock View Post
                      sorry for the thread revival. I too am having clicking noises when turning the steering wheel. past experience on my '95 protégé concluded it was CV joints, however that cost me $1500 for parts and labor at a local mechanic. I inspected the axles and found no leaks, no tears/cracks in the boots (in fact the boots looked almost new). can these still fail without a torn boot? in other words, what other areas could cause the clicking. car is at 130,000 original miles
                      When i had clicking noise while turning the steering wheel - it was a faulty strut bearing/strut mount - browse some youtube vids for details.

Comment

thanks for the tip, I did the search. it is not similar to the strut bearing/strut mount (but it doesn't preclude it). I did some further research and there is mention that the grease in the boots may just need warming up. after a few minutes the noise goes away. so I waited the winter out. now its spring, and there is no more clicking noise. now on to the other clunks and rattles!

Comment

lol @ twice-revived thread
                          sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                          92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Lol.
                            Saw the thread and thought, "Oh, Joel".
                            8 year old thread.
                            Wow, 8 years.
                            1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                            1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                            2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                            1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

I thought it would be more beneficial to follow up and report on any resolutions, as between November and April something happens called, "winter." i'm pretty sure forum etiquette looks down on creating new posts on existing topics but I would be happy to oblige in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X