Horn Doesn't Work!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn Doesn't Work!

Yeah so I've had my car for about 5 months now and the horn hasn't worked the entire time, but I had a close call today and decided I need my horn to work.

I now have a new steering wheel, but the horn didn't work prior anyways, but on either horn I would push the button or pad and I could hear a clicking sound almost like a fuse snapping. Is it possible that the relay for my horn has gone out? Does anybody have any words of wisedom, I don't want to have to buy a new horn, but if that's my only option, then that's what it's gonna be.

Thanks

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

If you hear a clicking it's probably a relay going off... which means that the wheel is fine and the actual horn doesn't work.

Comment

Dammit, so I need a new horn? The actual horn needs to be replaced? I'll just get the 135db horn off Ebay. Thanks man!

Comment

Whoa there, not so fast. I didn't say that WAS the problem. I was giving you an idea to test. I have never had that problem myself so I can't really say. I would test each part of the system independently until you find it.

First, press the button. Is the clicking sound somewhere else in the dash, and does it happen the same way every time? If so then it is definitely a relay changing, so you know that the actual button on the horn is working and wired up properly. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the relay in working right.

Second, test the relay. Wire up a light bulb through its switched circuit (but use your own wires) and press the horn button and see if it turns on. If it does, the relay's good. If it doesn't, replace the relay.

If the relay works, the problem is either the horn or the wire between the relay and the horn. Unplug the horn and connect it directly to your car battery. If it honks, the problem is the wiring. If it doesn't, replace your horn.

Comment

same thing is happening with my horn.. I hear a clicking sound.. It worked at first but it randolmy started going off on its own and then died.. All I hear is a clickiing sound when I click it now...

Comment

I just rebuilt the horn mechanism today on My 93.. It was pretty easy to do, may one hell of a mess of the dinner table with little tiny bits of sticky backed foam (.44cents a sheet at wally world) all over the place... I do find that the moron (previous owner who allowed the 14 year old to do the "maintenance" on the car) has misplaced at least one bolt or screw on whatever he tried to "fix"....
            1993 Protege DX

It was free!

Over 200,000 miles

Smells like the last owners raised polecats in it! The interior is horrible!

Not a straight panel on the poor thing, nothing caved in, but the poor old thing is just dinged and pinged all over. Maybe it's Mazda cellulite?

Comment

my horn hasnt worked in my 92 for the longest time... i just had a nice sounding exhaust, so i'd rap it up when i'd wanna hit the horn =D
              1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
              Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
              "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Originally posted by worldhazard
                my horn hasnt worked in my 92 for the longest time... i just had a nice sounding exhaust, so i'd rap it up when i'd wanna hit the horn =D
                That's what I've been doing. I think it's the relay, but I'll try the tips Jnorion gave me.

Thanks

Comment

A new horn pad is about $10 from the dealer for those having problems with that. It's a common problem, especially if the horn goes off randomly in the middle of the night.
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

my horn was f'ed up, but that was a result of some rage, a fist, and the steering wheel.
                    so i got a whole new wheel
                    i couldn't get the horn to work with the stock wiring so i had to run a new wire from the button to the horn relay.

93' 5spd DX
                    R.I.P

Comment

i tried to use the horn yesterday for the first time and got nothing. some lady engaged her clutch and let her car roll back into the pro while she was checking her makeup...

i haven't had very much luck lately!! it didn't do anything to either one of our cars but still pissed me right off. i went to see what was wrong with the horn today and noticed that absolutely nothing happens when i press on the wheel and there is not a horn to be found anywhere under the hood.

somebody must have gotten real pissed off at the horn at some point in my pro's existance! i think triple tone air horns are in order!
                      miss my '93 LX at every corner
                      photo album
                      Catch me on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by martiniac View Post

there is not a horn to be found anywhere under the hood.
                        that's because it's not under the hood.....
                        Attached Files

93' 5spd DX
                        R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by protégébob View Post
                          that's because it's not under the hood.....
                          thanks bob... that will give me something to go on.
                          miss my '93 LX at every corner
                          photo album
                          Catch me on Facebook

Comment

ROFL
                            there is not a horn to be found anywhere under the hood.

Comment

thanks bob... that will give me something to go on.
                              the stock steering wheels are notorious for having horn problems, something about the pad and wearing out (i got rid of my stock wheel pretty quickly so i'm not real sure what goes wrong)

also check the horn relay
                              Attached Files

93' 5spd DX
                              R.I.P

Comment

Working...
                              X