Hill AFB F-16 Crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill AFB F-16 Crashes

So my day at work was slow as usual up untill we get the call from the tower that an F-16 was having engine problems as it was flying as usual over the base after a training mission they had today over the desert. there was about 4 in formation flying 2 had landed right when the pilot called in saying he was having trouble so the other F-16 aborted its landing to fly with the one having trouble.......he couldint hold it any longer so he ejected and life flight helicopters were already en route so the F-16 still flying lead the helicopter right where the pilot had landed so he was recovered just as we were getting there!, we left the crash seen not to long ago as they are still investigating. Pretty crazy stuff this is the first real accident i have worked.

We have IFE's all the time which are In Flight Emergency's could be soemthing little to something big wrong with the aircraft coming in but usually its nothing. but luckily the base is prepared for it and we all made it out to the seen and everything was ok.

Here is the news story:

(KUTV) TOOELE COUNTY- An Air Force F-16 fighter jet crashed in Tooele County Thursday afternoon, as the pilot was conducting a training mission.

According to the U.S. Air Force, the single-seat jet crashed just after 2:00 pm Mountain Time approximately 30 miles west of Hill Air Force Base. The jet was assigned to the 388th Fighter Wing's 412st Fighter Squadron.

The pilot was conducting a close-air support training mission over the northern Utah Test and Training Range. Officials say the pilot ejected safely and is being recovered.

A Hill AFB spokesman says the jet was carrying ammunition, toxic Hydrazene gas and white phosphorous rockets typically used during training for target practice.

The cause of the crash is unclear. A board of officers will investigate the accident.

Pics of the crash: http://kutv.com/slideshows/local_sli...7/view?slide=0
    Last edited by Mazda96Protege; 03-30-2006, 11:35 PM.

That's really something. I'm glad the pilot is okay.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

According to the U.S. Air Force, the single-seat jet crashed just after 2:00 pm Mountain Time approximately 30 miles west of Hill Air Force Base. The jet was assigned to the 388th Fighter Wing's 412st Fighter Squadron.
      The grammar of the media never ceases to amaze me . . . glad to hear the pilot's okay.

edit: holy crap, that's a crater, not a crash site

Comment

Yeh i noticed that and thought it was pretty funny haha

And yes it is like a crater rather then a crash site. it was pretty wild to see.

Also my day was crazy today as well!!! had a truck run from me! haha and we had a problem with the barracades popping up so we had to spin the truck out right by the gate.....it was our last option because it was around when there was alittle bit of traffic on base and if it went off base it would have been alot worse....anyways here is a pic i took

The white truck is the USProtect truck (They work the gates and do LE work on base as well) and then my car right behind. the truck came about 3 feet away from the gate so it was close.
        Attached Files

Comment

nice, is it fun or just nerve wracking?

Comment

At first it was really nerve wracking, and at times it can be when things dont go smoothly but most of the time its just fun.

This is my 4th chase where i was the lead car.......towards the end of this one the USProtect truck stepped in because if i were to have tried to spin that truck out it would have rolled over the impala's hood lol but for the most part its fun just the paper work after sucks lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda96Protege
              At first it was really nerve wracking, and at times it can be when things dont go smoothly but most of the time its just fun.

This is my 4th chase where i was the lead car.......towards the end of this one the USProtect truck stepped in because if i were to have tried to spin that truck out it would have rolled over the impala's hood lol but for the most part its fun just the paper work after sucks lol
              Yeah, that would've been a waste of a good impala, now if it were the stratus . . . of course there's the danger to the occupants to consider too.

Comment

Haha exactly!, the stratus never gets used lol its for our chief master sarg and the rest of the head squadron guys but it just sits in the same spot everyday.....i drove it a few times but nothing more then just cruising around the base.

and if i were in the stratus i would have tried to spin that truck out lol.......would have been fun!!

Comment

yo that is kinda surreal r u a pilot too? or sumthing?

Comment

Nah im not a pilot, im Security Forces (Military police) so i posted the F-16 crash cause we had to respond to that since its a air force aircraft

Comment

Working...
                    X