Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protege 93 intake problem? *update* added video

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

Ok so here is my problem, when my car is at idle and i give it some gas it sounds like something is blocking the airflow and the car almost dies, but if i rev it up a little gradually then let out the clutch it will move. So if it's at idle and I give it to much gas right off the bat it almost dies. It sounds like something is blocking airflow?

So I switched out my intake vaf with my friends vaf from his old protege, it still does it. So i'm confused as to what it is. Unless it is the vaf and both mine and his are going bad. The car idle's perfectly fine it doesn't miss at all. So the spark plugs seem to be fine. Any idea what this problem is? The engine light does not come on except once this morning when I first started my car it was on for about 30 seconds then went off. Hasn't been on since. I reset my ecu by unplugging the battery, that didn't fix it either. Anyone had this problem?

VIDEO LINK
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I searched the forum and found some similar posts, but no definite answers.
    I read to replace the o2 sensor and the tps sensor.
    Last edited by vinniepearl; 05-03-2006, 05:14 AM. Reason: Added a video

check the timing and tps
    89 Supra Turbo
    87 RX-7 TII
    91 dx
    92 dx

Comment

Check the cat it might be clogged
      94 Protege LX

Comment

did it all of a sudden start acting like this, or did you add or change something? check the connections at the VAF, make sure they are on good. and check the TPS connection. mine has a bad connector and comes off a lot.
        Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

what are the chances the intake has a crankcase breather opening and you don't have it hooked up, causing a vacuum leak? Mine popped off one day and I got the same exact funkyness. I also had a crappy idle which made me notice before I revved it up a bit.
          Seth
          2010 Mazda3 i Touring

Comment

Originally posted by deadly_sleeper
            did it all of a sudden start acting like this, or did you add or change something? check the connections at the VAF, make sure they are on good. and check the TPS connection. mine has a bad connector and comes off a lot.
            It just started acting like this. I switched my vaf out with my friends old protege's and his rx7 vaf. I checked all the intake hoses for cracks and leaks and didn't see any. Check all of the connections, and it still does it. I switched out the fuel pressure regulator with another one. Still did it. Check all of the spark plugs and wires. The engine code threw a 8 and a 26. Which both point to the intake. I however haven't changed the o2 sensor. I'll try that next. My friend also mentioned advancing the timing.

Comment

Originally posted by sfd
              what are the chances the intake has a crankcase breather opening and you don't have it hooked up, causing a vacuum leak? Mine popped off one day and I got the same exact funkyness. I also had a crappy idle which made me notice before I revved it up a bit.
              I checked that too and even taped up around the connections.

Comment

is the TB butterfly opening properly?
                Seth
                2010 Mazda3 i Touring

Comment

have you checked any of those things yet?
                  89 Supra Turbo
                  87 RX-7 TII
                  91 dx
                  92 dx

Comment

Ok so tonight, I went ahead and checked the tps and it seemed to be fine according to the protege manual. Next I went ahead and took the o2 sensor out of my friends now defunct protege and switched it out with mine. Then we checked the timing to see if that was the issue. Well the funny thing is it got worse.

So maybe the o2 sensor he had in his old car is bad... worse than mine? According to the manual the tps isn't supposed show continuity until the throttle is all the way open. Which was the case with mine, so it's supposedly working correctly. We adjusted the timing, and it seemed to do nothing to change my problem.

So my next step is to go buy a brand new o2 sensor, and replace distributer parts.
                    Any other suggestions?

Comment

did you check that little hose connected under the throttle body (iac?) there might be a little hole on it or its kinked and its leaking air on it ... check plugs, wire and cap and rotor..
                      My Toys =D

Comment

Originally posted by ScOrTGtC
                        did you check that little hose connected under the throttle body (iac?) there might be a little hole on it or its kinked and its leaking air on it ... check plugs, wire and cap and rotor..

Not sure if i did check that hose? I'm pretty sure I did, but I'll give it another look.

I'm gonna check the ignition coil and ignitor, another guy had the same problem as me and he replaced those things and said that fixed his problem.

Comment

great news! my car won't start....

Maybe it does have something to do with the ignition?

Comment

Time to check the FACTS.

Fuel, Air, Compression, Timing, and Spark.

Stop doing guess work and throwing parts at it.
                            Last edited by Jho; 05-06-2006, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I got it to start today, The wire from the ignition to the distributor was loose.

Comment

Working...
                              X