Anyone else here lift??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

red meat & pasta FTW!!!
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

And raw eggs!

Yeah Darren, post some of that **** up here.

Comment

well...is there any 1 paticular area of information you guys need? Bulking, proper lifting techniques, supplements, steroids, etc etc??
        Eat ****.

Comment

Originally posted by 91ProteggggggggggggeLX
          well...is there any 1 paticular area of information you guys need? Bulking, proper lifting techniques, supplements, steroids, etc etc??
          Bulking and proper lifting techniques.

Comment

Well heres a good article on eating right...which is the #1 thing everyone that is interested in doing any type of fitness whatsoever needs to get 100% right.....

I think that a considerable amount of people have no idea of how to eat correctly. Some think that drinking strictly shakes all day, or eating nothing but protein is the way to go. Let me tell you, this is ridiculous.

Depriving your body of carbohydrates, proteins, or fats (yes, even fats) can be very detrimental. I think the problem is that many people really do not know what your body does with these types of foods. Well, pay attention all you crazy dieters, this could help tremendously!

Why do we even need food? Calories. These are tiny units of energy that your body uses in order to do work. What types of food contain kcalories? All types.

What Are KCALS?
            Kcal's, or kilocalories, are the preferred name for what regular people just call "calories". While there is technically (and confusingly) a difference between a calorie and a kcal in the scientific world, when dealing with the body and food, the two terms are interchangeable.

Carbohydrates give 4 kcal per gram, protein gives 4 kcal per gram, and fat gives 9 kcal per gram. It's easy to see from this information that fats are the most energy dense type of food. This means that fats give the body more energy than either carbohydrates or protein.

Carbs
            We'll start with carbohydrates. I'm sure you've heard of glucose before. Carbohydrates are the source of glucose. Glucose is a simple carbohydrate that is stored in your muscles and liver as glycogen. Glycogen can be thought of as just a string of glucose.

What Is Glycogen?
            Glycogen is the principal stored form of carbohydrate energy (glucose), which is reserved in muscles. When your muscles are full of glycogen, they look and feel full.

Think of a person representing glucose and a string of people holding hands as being glycogen. Any time you need energy to do work, such as playing sports, your body releases stored glucose. Back to the line of people, it's like removing one person at a time from the string of people; your body releases one glucose at a time from glycogen.

Since glucose can be obtained and stored so easily from the body, it is used in order to fuel most of the body's cells. Get this, glucose provides energy for your brain and for making blood in your body. Glucose can be made from protein, however, this requires the breakdown of body protein, yes, from muscle.

That's right, if you're not eating enough carbohydrates, your body will start breaking down precious muscle tissue for glucose. Unfortunately, your body cannot use fats for glucose.

Also, protein has its own roles in the body, and making glucose is not one of them, so by restricting carbohydrate intake, you throw your body's processes out of whack.

Proteins...

Now onto to protein. More well known than glucose is the term amino acid. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins, just as many glucose molecules make up glycogen, amino acids make up proteins.

There are numerous functions of proteins in the body, but I'll just concentrate on the most important: proteins are involved in growing, repairing, and replacing tissue. They are able to do this because they are the building blocks of body structures.

When speaking of proteins, the term nitrogen balance is usually thrown on the table. This is referring to protein synthesis and degradation in the body. If the body synthesizes more than it degrades and adds protein, you have a positive nitrogen balance.

What Does "Nitrogen Balance" Refer To?
            The difference between the amount of nitrogen taken in and the amount excreted or lost. If you excrete more nitrogen than you consume, your body will break down muscle tissue to get the nitrogen it needs (negative nitrogen state). Thus, muscle loss occurs. If, however, you consume more nitrogen than you excrete, you will be in an anabolic (muscle building) state (positive nitrogen state).

Protein intake exceeds output, and protein is retained in tissue as new muscle is added. Obviously, this is something that you want. Watch out, if your protein output exceeds intake you would have a negative nitrogen balance. This is not good because the opposite is now happening.

Your body is degrading muscle and other body proteins. You usually see this in people who are starving, burned, injured, or have a fever. This puts your body in what is called a catabolic state.

What Does Anabolic Mean?
            Anabolic refers to the metabolic process that is characterized by molecular growth, such as the increase of muscle mass. Thus, it means "muscle-building" in most common bodybuilding contexts.

An anabolic state is when your body has a positive nitrogen balance. The term catabolic refers to the state of the body in which body compounds are broken down for energy purposes.

What Does Catabolic Mean?
            Catabolic refers to the metabolic process that is characterized by molecular breakdown and energy release, such as the decrease of muscle mass. Thus, it means "muscle loss" in many common bodybuilding contexts.

Ultimately, you cannot grow if your body is in a catabolic state. An anabolic state refers to a growing state of the body in which energy is used to build up body compounds.

Fats

Now for the fats. Fats are very important. In the body, fats are the main source of energy. Believe it or not, fat combines with glucose for energy in order to spare the breakdown of protein. This way protein can be used in order to do its job, make more muscle!

Like I said, fat broken down in the body gives 9 kcals per gram. Now think about that, since fat releases more kcals (energy) per gram, it only makes sense that your body would first use fat as its chief source of energy.

RELATED ARTICLE
            Dietary Fats!
            There are many different types of fats and they can be conveniently divided into four main categories: saturated fats, monounsaturated fats, polyunsaturated fats, and trans fatty acids. Learn more about them!
            [ Click here to learn more. ]

Many people believe that if you do cardio or something like that before breakfast, you'll burn body tissues (protein). In my opinion, this doesn't make much sense. If you have fat stored in your body, why would your body choose to use protein (4 kcals per gram) instead of fat (9 kcals per gram) for its fuel source?

While I was preparing for my contest, I was constantly performing urinalysis in order to see if my body was burning tissue, and guess what? The result was always negative.

True, if you stop eating, your body will begin using protein in order to preserve fats for stored energy, however, if you continue to eat, your body will not burn proteins because your body is constantly being refueled with the nutrients it needs for metabolic activities.

RELATED ARTICLE
            Good Fats, Bad Fats.
            This article will focus on fats, the recent health claims approved by the FDA regarding keeping your diet healthy with the right kinds of fats (the good fats), and how to apply this to a bodybuilding diet.
            [ Click here to learn more. ]

Saturated fats are the fats that you want to stay away from because high intake can lead to things like heart disease and high cholesterol. Your body cannot break down saturated fat very well either because of its chemical composition.

Unsaturated fats are the good fats that are easier for your body to breakdown. Some act as an antioxidant and many actually aid in losing stored fatty tissue in the body.

One easy way to tell the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats is that saturated fats are solids at room temperature (lard and animal fat) and unsaturated fats are liquids at room temperature (oils).

Finally, I'll end in telling you that despite many theories, if you eat an excess of anything, it will be stored as fat. Many people ask me why being fatter makes you stronger. I don't think this is entirely true, I think that you get stronger with increased muscle, fat just gives you some extra energy.

You don't need to get fat in order to become strong, so don't buy into that. Also, people ask me why bodybuilders seem to get fat in the offseason. That's easy, if you have ever dieted (without cheating) for a contest, you understand.

You get fat from eating more because you are not so worried about your fat percentages in the offseason. I guess putting your cardio work on the back burner doesn't help in keeping that gut off either.
            Eat ****.

Comment

good read
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

That's good info there. Thanks D-bar.

Comment

i dunno if this thread is still popular lol.. i don't bench much but i go to the gym 5 days a week and take the weekends off.. I bench 210, 4 sets, 10 reps each.. i dead lifted 600lbs once.. but i damn near broke my back lol.. i'm more of an incline press kind of guy.. i do 4 sets of 10 at 85lbs.. slowly working my way up lol.. been going steady for 6 months and started at 25 lmao.. I try to watch not to eat for atleast an hr once i get home from the gym to let my metabolism(sp?) calm down so i don't add on calories like crazy! any whoo.. just thought i'd ge tin on this thread

Comment

is it bad to eat after words??

Comment

it's bad to eat right after you work out yes.. because you matabolism is so high and you just burnt a **** load of calories.. my trainer told me to always let your body calm down for atleast 45 mins to an hr to get back to normal and then it's good to eat.. He also told me to try and eat a good meal right before i work out so i burn all those calories right away and they are not stored into fat but burnt into muscle mass

Comment

I eat afterwords to replenish the stuff i burn, might as well eat after when its high metabolism it'll get digested then. no?

Comment

NO.. because your body matabolism is starving for calories or carbohydrades.. so they will emediatly be stored into fat pockets.. you need to let your body calm down.. it's great if you want to add weight tho.. i made that mistake for about 3 months.. and i was like wtf.. cause i packed on about 30 pounds in 2 months.. so i got that **** shorted out man..

Comment

most people who lift weights almost always WANT to gain weight, especially if they're ever talking about maxes. people who want to lose weight do a lot more cardio.
                            sigpic

Comment

true that. But i'm pushing 260lbs.. so i def don't want to pack on any extra calories than i have to after a work out.. being ripped and a heavy weight takes a lot of time man... you know us boys don't like cardio lol.. we still want steak and beer

Comment

Steak and beer ftw!!!!! I'm in the same boat as you with the weight(250). I just started hitting the gym doin cardio 4 days a week and lifting 3 days. 1 question. I don't eat anything after I workout but I do make a double whey protein shake and have that right after. I'll snap a pic of the stuff I use. After the workout I'm sore as **** until about 15-30 mins after I drink the shake. Is that ok to do after? Bed is usually 2 hrs later.
                                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Working...
                                X