Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Why would I have a rough Idle when in "Drive", not in "Neutral or Park"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Why would I have a rough Idle when in "Drive", not in "Neutral or Park"?

I have a 1991 protege dx, and I find that when I drive, often my car has a rough idle when I am in "drive" holding the brake, but if I shift into neutral, it goes down to a smooth, calm idle. Any particular reasons why this might happen? Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I am fairly new to fixing a car, so I might need some more instructions that just "tweak this". thanks.

because the engine is under load when in drive, but not n or p.
    DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Is it something that can be tweaked and adjusted so it isn't so rough? or is it just normal?

Comment

you can do things to smooth out the idle. hyperground systems help with idle, just doing some general maintanence on the car, spark plugs, wires, and stuff like that. it might be, and probably is cuz the car is old, that your engine mounts are gone and they need to be replaced.
        Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

It's fairly common, and most people just deal with it.

Comment

if your idle setting is low you can turn it up a bit... the girls saturn had a rough idle but it was because her car was idling at 650 or so at stop lights... Mine is rough but its because I have solid motor mounts...
            1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
            1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
            2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
            2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Working...
            X