purchased a 93 mazda protege dx today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

purchased a 93 mazda protege dx today

ill get pictures probably next week and bump this thread up... but i was looking for a cheap car to drive while i parted out my beast. i found this protege for 200 clams, 93 protege dx auto. its green, PERFECT body, and the ONLY thing i saw wrong with the interior was not even seeing, it was smelling, like smoke... and the only thing wrong with the body is the front bumper has a nice hole in it the shape of a trailer hitch... but replace the bumper and shampoo the interior and its imaculate...

oh yeah the reason it was 200 bucks is it needs a new head gasket and radiator...

but other than those issues this car is MINT... EVERYTHING is there, all the splash shields, all the resonator tubes... nothing is missing... this chicks mom bought it brand new in 93, there is 113k miles on it.

im hoping once i get it running, cleaned up and replace the bumper, ill be able to get like 1750 give or take (when i go up to alaska in october) so a car ill have like 5-600 dollars into including the cost of the car ill be able to make over a grand right before we take off to alaska

its currently being stored at their house (30 miles from my house) because it wont drive and the only vehicle we have that could tow it is at the coast for the next 2 weeks.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

You got a mazda with an automatic shame on you. In my opinion Mazda should have sold all there cars with Manuals that way there would be more of them on the road today. I'd say clean it up and sell it quick before the tranny starts giving you problems.
    c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

yeah i only need a car to last me till september9th... ill be getting married then and we will both be jobless for a month before we go to alaska... so 1 it will be cheaper to only have one car and 2 we will only need one car, so ill work on selling it in september.

and i think its something that may help me with my resale ultimately, there are more people out there looking for a straight well running car thats an automatic than there are people looking for a 5 speed basemodel econobox. of course i could be wrong.

im not going to beating up on this, this is going to be a daily driver, speed limit driven, slow for corners... im going to be driving this car like an old man.

and can you blame me for 200 dollars... especially because i really need to start parting my lxe out and this is an AMAZING car for next to nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by FazdaBoy4ever
        yeah i only need a car to last me till september9th... ill be getting married then and we will both be jobless for a month before we go to alaska... so 1 it will be cheaper to only have one car and 2 we will only need one car, so ill work on selling it in september.

and i think its something that may help me with my resale ultimately, there are more people out there looking for a straight well running car thats an automatic than there are people looking for a 5 speed basemodel econobox. of course i could be wrong.

im not going to beating up on this, this is going to be a daily driver, speed limit driven, slow for corners... im going to be driving this car like an old man.

and can you blame me for 200 dollars... especially because i really need to start parting my lxe out and this is an AMAZING car for next to nothing.
        1. LX models came with 5-speeds to. and 2. Put a trans cooler on it so the auto last longer.

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

As far as I know, the auto trannies last just as long (if not longer) than the manual trannies. if you're talking about using the car for...let's call it "spirited racing", then I can understand what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ_PaRaNoIsE
            As far as I know, the auto trannies last just as long (if not longer) than the manual trannies. if you're talking about using the car for...let's call it "spirited racing", then I can understand what you mean.
            actually the autos will last between 40,000 to 100,000 miles before the heat they produce kills 'em. Look around at all the Mazda sites. Everyone wants to get rid of the Automatic because they burn up so easy. Especially in the MX-3 and 626. The main thing is to keep them cool and they will last longer.
            The MX-3 I used to have was on its 3rd automatic and it only had 107,000 miles on it.

Comment

Nice score!

Let's see it.

Comment

ill get pictures as soon as i pick it up. im hoping ill be able to find someone with a rig i can use to tow it, then it will be just 40 bucks for a car dolly, where as if i cannot then i have to rent a truck, that will be 20 then about 30-40 dollars for milage then gas on top of that. so 40 or 100+. we have a van i can use if worst comes to worst but it wont even be back in town for another week and a half.

my soon to be father in law has a 4 runner, im going to ask them if i can use it.

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
                  1. LX models came with 5-speeds to. and 2. Put a trans cooler on it so the auto last longer.
                  i know that lx models came with a 5 speed, i have that setup in my lxe... im refering to the fact the car i bought is a dx (base model protege).

ill price a trans cooler but like i said, i only need this to last untill september, and i want to put as little into this car as i can so i can get the most out of it. and i think 150 bucks for a trans cooler when i doubt that the tranny is going to die in the 3 months i have the car is money that im not going to get out of it.

not to mention its whole life its been driven by a grandma... this car other than the cig smoke interior, blown head gasket, cracked radiator, and hole in the bumper, is a diamond in the ruff that i always wanted when i was wanting to find a straight car to build my turbo on... its killing me that im just going to be letting this go in 3 months.

Comment

Originally posted by FazdaBoy4ever
                    i know that lx models came with a 5 speed, i have that setup in my lxe... im refering to the fact the car i bought is a dx (base model protege).

ill price a trans cooler but like i said, i only need this to last untill september, and i want to put as little into this car as i can so i can get the most out of it. and i think 150 bucks for a trans cooler when i doubt that the tranny is going to die in the 3 months i have the car is money that im not going to get out of it.

not to mention its whole life its been driven by a grandma... this car other than the cig smoke interior, blown head gasket, cracked radiator, and hole in the bumper, is a diamond in the ruff that i always wanted when i was wanting to find a straight car to build my turbo on... its killing me that im just going to be letting this go in 3 months.

well if ya only gonna have it for 3 months just baby it.

Comment

good score, and you can make some decent money when you sell it.

Just keep it in shape...
                      DX BP swap/turbo build

Comment

the 2nd gen autos have a tranny cooler built into the radiator

i dunno about 1st gens

Comment

Yeah my old DX auto started giving me some tranny problems around 80k miles. First it started slipping a little bit, so I changed the fluid (risky I know, but it was burnt to a crisp). Solved the slip problem, but then the pump started leaking a few months later. Drove fine, but I had to keep an eye on the fluid level. I drove the car pretty hard (it was my first car), so I really brought it on myself. I would have to say if the tranny is fine now, and you're only planning on using it for a few months, you should be fine.
                          Last edited by Natural; 06-23-2006, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Well, in mine the tranny connects to the bottom side of the rad...which would explain why its lasted so long then...

Comment

pretty much all cars have a tranny cooler running into the radiator he is talking about an external cooler think about your coolant is 180 to 190 or more degrees and you putting tranny fluid through it that you want as cold as possible. run an external cooler after the stock through radiator cooler. 50 bucks at orielly's plus fuel line and clamps will get you done get the bar and plate style not the tube style doesnt do as good of a job.
                              mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

Working...
                              X