engine temp gauge moving up and down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine temp gauge moving up and down

My engine temperature gauge is going up and down, usually when I give it gas.

If I'm at a stop light or idle, it is fine and sits in the middle like usual, but when I give it gas it drops down and fluctuates. I'm at work so I haven't got a chance to check anything.

check your coolant level
    c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by vinniepearl

If I'm at a stop light or idle, it is fine and sits in the middle like usual, but when I give it gas it drops down and fluctuates. I'm at work so I haven't got a chance to check anything.
      Does the temp go up while you're stopped, and go down when you're moving, or does this all happen while you're stopped?

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
        Does the temp go up while you're stopped, and go down when you're moving, or does this all happen while you're stopped?
        The temp is normal when stopped and goes haywire when moving.. geesh time to get that prescription changed JHO..... LOL
        c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
          The temp is normal when stopped and goes haywire when moving.. geesh time to get that prescription changed JHO..... LOL
          Actually, he wasn't very clear.

If I'm at a stop light or idle, it is fine and sits in the middle like usual, but when I give it gas it drops down and fluctuates.
          By "giving it gas" it was unclear if he meant simply revving it in neutral or if the vehicle was moving.

Comment

i have a problem somthing like that.

i can drive it around all day and the temp stay's in the middle but if i pass some one on the street and stop at a light the temp goes up but as soon as i begin to go it drops down to normal i dont smell it over heating or anything and the coolant level is fine and there is no oil in the water and no water in the oil. it hasnt gone as high as it use to lately it use to go as high as the top of the little temp pic inside the temp guage.

could one of the sensor's be going whacky or could it be somthing else. mabe a lower temp thermostat could help the one that's in there now is 190f+ should it be a 180+ degree thermostat. cause i can shut the motor off (with the power still on so the guages still work) and the guage is alway's below the half way mark unlike when its running. but wouldent the CEL come on if they was going bad.

sory if i confused anyone but this topic reminded me of mine so i posted it here to
            stock blaze red 1992 Mazda Protege DX 5 Speed

Comment

It never goes above half way. So basically it's not overheating. When I'm at idle it seems normal. It just kinda sits at the half way mark like normal, but when I'm in first and my rpms get higher it drops down to the cold and moves up and down until my rpm's go down. It's just a random spastic movement. Tonight I'm gonna add coolant, or maybe at lunch.

Comment

If the coolant doesn't work, I'll probably replace the engine coolant sensor, and check wiring.

Comment

I checked the coolant and it's full. So now I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by madmax_2069
                    i have a problem somthing like that.

i can drive it around all day and the temp stay's in the middle but if i pass some one on the street and stop at a light the temp goes up but as soon as i begin to go it drops down to normal i dont smell it over heating or anything and the coolant level is fine and there is no oil in the water and no water in the oil. it hasnt gone as high as it use to lately it use to go as high as the top of the little temp pic inside the temp guage.

could one of the sensor's be going whacky or could it be somthing else. mabe a lower temp thermostat could help the one that's in there now is 190f+ should it be a 180+ degree thermostat. cause i can shut the motor off (with the power still on so the guages still work) and the guage is alway's below the half way mark unlike when its running. but wouldent the CEL come on if they was going bad.

sory if i confused anyone but this topic reminded me of mine so i posted it here to

Is your cooling fan coming on while stopped?

Comment

I checked the coolant and it's full. So now I'm not sure.
                      Did you check the sensor that controls the temp guage and it's wiring?

Comment

I haven't paid to much attention to the cooling fan, I'll have to check it out. The car isn't overheating at all, the guage just acts funny. Over the weekend I removed my a/c cooling fan (in front of the radiator). Not sure if that would do it or not.

As for checking the sensor and wiring, I haven't. Are you referring to the engine coolant sensor? I replaced the plug when I first bought the car. I however haven't checked the wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                          Is your cooling fan coming on while stopped?
                          yea Jho it coming on

when i put the new radiator in the fluctuations dont happen as much or as bad anymore.

im also thinking that the thermostat is a bit to high and the car dont like it but that is somthing i am not shure on. i need to time the cooling fan to see how long it takes to come on and how many times and how long it stay's on.

Comment

I haven't paid to much attention to the cooling fan, I'll have to check it out. The car isn't overheating at all, the guage just acts funny. Over the weekend I removed my a/c cooling fan (in front of the radiator). Not sure if that would do it or not.

As for checking the sensor and wiring, I haven't. Are you referring to the engine coolant sensor? I replaced the plug when I first bought the car. I however haven't checked the wiring.

do you use your a/c at all

Comment

Don't have a/c, or power steering. I took it all out.

Comment

Working...
                              X