01-03 Protege or Nissan Sentra Spec V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

01-03 Protege or Nissan Sentra Spec V?

Im looking to buy a new car and have narrowed it down to these two cars. I need a good handling four door that I can autox sometimes too. My main concern in a car is handling. Stock for stock the Sentra easily beats the protege in power and handling, but Couldnt I easily add parts to the protege to make it out handle the Sentra? Are there any superchargers or turbos that can run reliably on the 2L motor of the protege? I would try to find a mazdaspeed protege but I can find them anywhere. If you guys have any advice lemme know plz thanks.

the spec v has more hp and torque. it's not even turbo.
    LET'S GO MAVERICKS!!
    Buy my 17x7 Konig silver gloss 5 spoke rims.
    WTB: Garrett T25 Turbo
    Your Xbox too big for your car and want it to fit? Want to save games to it? Want Emulators? I do Xbox Mods.
    REFs from Xbox-scene.com and bst-scene.com
    Good Guys: Chance_P, Swampdonkeys, mystikz2002, sickdimension, Silv3rMan, Questioner, appleguru, millican
    Paypal Verified

Comment

i have both, and the protege is way better.
      What good is money if it can't inspire terror in your fellow man?

Comment

Originally posted by curtis
        i have both, and the protege is way better.
        how so?

Comment

well since i've gotten them in addition to the crap that i dont need that i blew money on, heres a list on what i've spent on maitnence parts--
          2000 protege 'es (had for 13 months, 127,xxx kms):
          -front brake pads
          -altenator (origionalaltenator)
          -battery (origional battery)

2001 senta (had for 3 months, 72,xxx kms):
          -front and rear brake pads. which is not too bad, but it now needs; all belts, mass air flow sensor, muffler and all new door hinges, plus some sort of mystery squeaking and the gas pedal sticks.

now for the comparison; the protege has more head room, feels better, handles better, stops quicker, has more "get up and go" off the line. more passenger and luggage volume and feels less bulky when driving. plus i paid less for the 'ge.

Comment

Ok well your talking about a 2001 sentra, Im looking for what people think about spec Vs vs proteges.

Comment

well in that case, i have driven a spec v and to be honest the extra power is nice, but i still prefer the feel of the protege, find it much more driveable

Comment

all the same tho, you can probly get yourself a 2003 sentra for around 12-14k. i dont knwo what your proce range is, but if your comfortable with a few extra bucks over that, you can get a 2003 mazdaspeed protege for 15-17k. a buddy of mine in town is selling his 2003.05 msp for $16,000.

Comment

I was stuck with that exact decision. 02 Protege5 or 02 Spec-V. I took the P5 but have now put a deposit down on a Speed3 and will sell the P5 after winter. It handles like a dream, is fun to drive and is generally a great car, but it's slow as hell. The mileage difference is less than you'd think (The Spec-V drinks a bit more) and the interior of the Spec-V is superior in my mind.

One of the reasons I didn't take the Spec-V was torque steer. I read about it somewhere but didn't really believe it until I drove it myself. I have weak arms (Neeeeeeerd) and it was annoying enough to make me think "Am I gonna be able to put up with this every time I stop?". The answer was no.

It's completely personal though. Take each for a good long test drive and then flip a coin. Doesn't matter what side it lands on, it will determine which car you really want.

Comment

Any pro will handle circles around a sentra, even the spec v. The power however is a diffrent story.

And to your first question you can get fairly reliable turbos, from highboost or mam but dont turn the boost up to high or well you know pop 240 whp is a good level. Unless you have the 1.6l then you can just keep cranking it up. + with the pro a v6 swap is always an option, then turbo then enjoy your 600+ hp.

Comment

two buddies of mine have specVs and i really am not impressed. the price of a mazdaspeed protege seems to be dropping like a rock these days (saw one on autotrader for less than 10k) and they corner much better. in a straight line its what you'd call "a drivers race" between the two cars.

ProtegeGarage.com - Over 525 parts shipped WORLDWIDE for your Mazda Protege, Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6, MX-5 and Mazda RX-8
                      email :: Ken@mazda3online.com
                      Phone :: (847) 223-6890
                      Cell Phone :: (847) 736-1635

We Accept Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, Check and Money Order

CLICK HERE FOR BG CHASSIS CARBON FIBER HOODS

Comment

Well if you are looking for speed, the Spec-V has stock 200hp I beleive. A stock Protege ES you are looking at about 135 or 140. Ive got an ES and with my CAI and racing radiator and exhaust I probably pushing 155whp. You add such things to a Spec-V Se-R would be pretty fast.

If you are looking for comfort then Protege all the way. great ride, great gas milage and pretty fun to drive. I would recommend if you are going Pro, then go with a 2003 5 speed ES if you can, if not a MP3 or MSP. Those are built for greatness.

but thats my 2 cents

Comment

I vote Protege!

Comment

Man you guys are biased. The Spec V is a much better car in many ways. Brembo's and 30 more HP are enough. Not to mention all the Nismo goodies covered under factory warranty.

Any pro will handle circles around a sentra, even the spec v
                            You are smoking serious crack, SER's have serious potential. Way better engines and handling.
                            2005 Velocity Red RX8 GT 6 Speed
                            My second 88' CRX HF Hybrid , gutted, mildly Built B16A + many extras.

Comment

Working...
                            X