1994 Protege Horn Doesn't Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1994 Protege Horn Doesn't Work

Alright so when I bought this car the horn never worked.

Clicking noise comes from somewhere near the fusebox. Everything else thats electrical works. I haven't tried replacing a fuse because I don't know what fuse the horn relys on(since its not specified). It's possible it could be the horn relay. Wanted to know based on my description if anyone could possibly point out the problem. Wanted to fix this because lately I've been put some situations where road rage is a must .

yep..

If you're hearing a 'clicking' under the dash, most likely it's the horn itself that is broken. The horn is located on the front right side of the car behind the bumper. Be forewarned, it's buried and will take some time to locate if you don't already know where it is.
    Anyway, once you find it, pull the connection to the horn and put a test light or another horn on it(ground the horn) and press the horn button. If the light comes on or horn honks that verifies the broken horn.
    Current-'08 MZ3 Hatch auto, '04 MZ3 Hatch 5-spd, '03 Pro-Lx 5 spd,
    '56 VW Cal Ragtop
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2285117/1

Comment

Just The Opposite...

Without a doubt the funniest story about the 94 LX I've had for 4+ years was the time the horn got stuck "on" while my wife was in a parking deck downtown Birmingham and had to drive all the way home with it blowing...we live in a suburb about 20 miles away and it was rush hour so you can imagine all the dirty looks she got in traffic and was mad as hell when she finally got home...like you I couldn't find the specific fuse and with horn blowing constantly couldn't even think clearly so I disconnected the wires at the streering column...your post just reminded me I gotta fix that...please post a follow-up...
      If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Comment

Originally posted by Meltdownsky
        Without a doubt the funniest story about the 94 LX I've had for 4+ years was the time the horn got stuck "on" while my wife was in a parking deck downtown Birmingham and had to drive all the way home with it blowing...we live in a suburb about 20 miles away and it was rush hour so you can imagine all the dirty looks she got in traffic and was mad as hell when she finally got home...like you I couldn't find the specific fuse and with horn blowing constantly couldn't even think clearly so I disconnected the wires at the streering column...your post just reminded me I gotta fix that...please post a follow-up...

Haha, that's always a funny experience. It happened to me on the way to work one day. The whole ride there, at stop lights, in traffic, it was great.

Comment

Originally posted by theprotege7
          Alright so when I bought this car the horn never worked.

Clicking noise comes from somewhere near the fusebox. Everything else thats electrical works. I haven't tried replacing a fuse because I don't know what fuse the horn relys on(since its not specified). It's possible it could be the horn relay. Wanted to know based on my description if anyone could possibly point out the problem. Wanted to fix this because lately I've been put some situations where road rage is a must .

yep..
          The click is your horn relay. Like Bill said, it's a bit of a bitch to get to. If you remove your front bumper, its right there. Test to see if it's getting power,a dn go from there.

Comment

MX-3 steering wheel for the win biatches no stuck horn here.
            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
              MX-3 steering wheel for the win biatches no stuck horn here.
              Try finding one in South Texas, ya buffoon.. Pickup capital of the world.

When the horn gets stuck, its' the horn pad on the steering wheel that's gone bad. That will cost no more than $18 at the dealer.
              '56 VW Cal Ragtop

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
                Try finding one in South Texas, ya buffoon.. Pickup capital of the world.

When the horn gets stuck, its' the horn pad on the steering wheel that's gone bad. That will cost no more than $18 at the dealer.

A baffon with no stuck horn and a better looking wheel center than those Pro centers.

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

Originally posted by purewhitemp5
                  A baffon with no stuck horn and a better looking wheel center than those Pro centers.
                  OH Yeah??!! Well...ya got me there.
                  '56 VW Cal Ragtop

Comment

Originally posted by Meltdownsky
                    Yea i remeber that happened to me at my friends house. Really funny.
                    My Vouch Tread:http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25276

My myspace:
                    http://www.myspace.com/haitianstreetracer

Comment

Yeah mine got stuck one time, but that was because i kind of punched the horn pad and it stuck! I just ripped the cover off to stop it, then I got a GTX wheel instead.

93' 5spd DX
                      R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
                        OH Yeah??!! Well...ya got me there.

Comment

My JDM Momo wheel will fix all of my problems.

Comment

I fixed my horn by taking the cover off, then using weather stripping for exterior home doors cut in half instead of the oem foam pad, which had simply dryrotted. it was free, took about 20 mins, and has worked for over 6 months now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jho
                              My JDM Momo wheel will fix all of my problems.
                              I have a Momo monte carlo that looks just like the JDM GTX (GTR?) momo wheel. I could easily put it on, but, I'm spoiled and don't want to lose my cruise control.

Comment

Working...
                              X