This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Sway Bar - FYI

for all those looking for a rear sway bar, here are a couple of tips and a bit of fyi info.

ALL 95 protege's have a rear sway bar, despite trim level.

and only 96-98 ES protege's have a rear sway bar.

remember, adding a sway bar will require rear struts with mounting tabs. the end links connect between the sway bar and strut.
    Last edited by 95pro; 02-14-2006, 02:55 PM.
    Almost there

jdm tails... check
    jdm bumper... check
    ms lip... check
    ms grill... check
    ms sideskirts... check
    ms rear skirts... check
    ms spoiler... check
    ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
    Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

how much of a drop do the aerospeeds give? i can get em for 150 bucks flat. anyone know?

Comment

ok im getting really anxious... i want to cut my springs and buy better springs and struts later on...

when i cut them i can do it with them on the vehicle and a spring compressor... supposedly, and use a dremel to cut it, then cut the pieceleft in half and remove it...

problem... how do i get it to sit right? anyone have a picture, people say i have to turn the spring to match some groove or hole or something, i dunno... i don't want to take too much off, just a coil or two to eliminate my wheel gap.

anyone have any idea... and i know i sound so stupid right now...

whats a spring compressor look liek and how the **** do i use it? i know i can rent them from autozone and crap.

Comment

you're stupid for wanting to cut your springs. start a new thread. this thread is only for reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
            you're stupid for wanting to cut your springs. start a new thread. this thread is only for reference.
            agreed! on what inturder said. you beat me to it.

i'll get pics of the spring compressor up here in a bit, or where ever strutman starts his new thread.
            Almost there

jdm tails... check
            jdm bumper... check
            ms lip... check
            ms grill... check
            ms sideskirts... check
            ms rear skirts... check
            ms spoiler... check
            ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
            Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

check the spring clamp thread, i've moved back to my ghetto idea of that... 50 bucks and i can lower it all around... our front and rear are coil springs right? i can just use the clamps until i do it right later.

Comment

Want to lower my ride, have found some, 2.0" drop springs, I am going to install them on oem struts, and would like some input. Is this possible with 17's to do this without the wheel wells rubbing the tires? I have measured the space between the tire and the well and it's just under 3" any suggestions would be apprieciated, thanks.

vidiLife.com provides  free video and photo hosting and sharing
                Free Images
                sigpic

Comment

any other coil overs besides GC? any one have any idea's on what a killer combo would be?
                  peace

Comment

how much do struts coast?

Comment

Originally posted by 95pro View Post
                      for all those looking for a rear sway bar, here are a couple of tips and a bit of fyi info.

ALL 95 protege's have a rear sway bar, despite trim level.

and only 96-98 ES protege's have a rear sway bar.

remember, adding a sway bar will require rear struts with mounting tabs. the end links connect between the sway bar and strut.
                      I can confirm your statement! I have 1995 protege with a sway bar and links that connect to it. No ES is needed.
                      Anyway I was looking at those links which are plastic OEM and they get faulty very quickly. I was thinking of lowering my car about 1.5'' and then put some better links on it. Just to keep it running well for at least three years. I really don't like my links being stuck and I don't want to buy new ones if they break again after 6 months. Any idea? It's Z5 and all I want to is to have more reliable links, that's all. No need for racing performance.
                      Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

Originally posted by gybe View Post
                        ...all I want to is to have more reliable links, that's all. No need for racing performance.
                        well i know for stronger end links check awrracing.com they have some end links actually made from steel!!! (what is steel, i only know plastic )

Comment

i believe the stock endlinks have a plastic cap, either way I've broken an awr endlink bottoming out, I wouldn't say awr is that much better than the stock swaybar
                          95 ES
                          05 S60R

Comment

This plastic cap is 90% trouble maker. When I was doing my wheel alignment at the shop, the guy told me that such links with plastic caps are bugging owners for years and once you replace them you are good for maybe half a year, then it goes out again.
                            Also in the official Mazda shop while I was purchasing some parts I asked their mechanic about it and he replied that people don't want to change them anymore because every time an owner gets his car to the shop for general maintenance they replace them and obviously charge them. I know these are 15 EUR a piece but I am not spending 30 EUR and some time replacing it every 6 months.

Personally I believe that AWR links aren't meant to last forever or to survive a catapult hit of your car on a moon, but on a daily basis they'll probably work.
                            Anyhow... goodorange, how did you break it? Any special circumstances?

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

hard right hand turn out of a parking lot, which was higher than the road, the quick drop snapped the top heim link rod end, which makes sense because the threaded part should be the first to break. I went back to the stock bar because the awr is ungodly loud and clunky.
                              95 ES
                              05 S60R

Comment

Well about loud an clunky backside... this is a problem for every Mazda since rear wheels and suspension are hearable in the cockpit. I get clunky noises too but at least you hear it is still there and that you ran over something you shouldn't for a smooth ride.

I was reading the Protege FAQ and also found that struts on some Pros can be the cause for clunky sounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X