How sore is sore enough ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How sore is sore enough ?

Thanks to major changes I have made in my life recently, I have started working out regularly with weights and swimming laps...no need to "bulk up" as I've already got plenty to work with [200lbs. 6'nothing], anyhow after 3 weeks of steady progress and actually seeing tightening up in the middle and some "cut" developing in chest and around shoulders and arms, the only problem I'm having is recurring soreness...so how do I know if I'm over doing it ?
    If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Soreness is good. That means you are challenging you muscles. If this is the first time you've worked out in a long time, then that soreness is typical. As your muscles get conditioned to lifting, then they'll hurt less. You will be able to complete the same routine and not feel as sore as before in a couple of weeks. That's when you know you are making progress. When you lose that little pain (which in a fit body only lasts for 24 MAX after a new workout, and even then it is minor) you will need to change and vary your routine to prevent the body from adapting to your routine.

All of these questions and more can be answered at www.fitness.com/forum/

Comment

Way to go Stephen.

Sore = you're working it good. It will go away after a while. Keep it up.

Comment

Added crunches to the mix [OMG talk about hurtin']...anyway, I've discovered that stretching before and after working out seems to help...
        If it can be done wrong, I will...somehow I always finish tearing things up before I can fix'em ...

Comment

Soreness is good. Your not overdoing it. If you were over-doing it you would see sever bruising of your muscle tissue and you wouldnt be able to function very well. Its very hard to over-train your muscles.

Stretching before and after always helps and should always be done to prevent injury. Theres also post workout recovery supplements that can aid in muscles repairing themselves faster thus making you less sore.
          Eat ****.

Comment

So far all I've been using is Ibuprofen, A friend who suggested working out as a non-chemical way to overcome stress/depression mentioned once you got used to it being part of your daily routine, you'd miss it on the days you couldn't...thought that was kinda' strange, now I know exactly what he meant. Hope to add a Karate class soon [God knows I've been a klutz long enough !]

Comment

Crunches are great. You should do a few sets everyday.

Stretching is key. You should also think about what you're eating. Add some extra protein to your diet.

Comment

man i have got to follow your steps
                congrats on the cuts
                yeah sore means good stuff...learn to love it

talk about sore, i skated for about 8hrs on sat. non-stop took a brake to go get some h2o
                Originally posted by 90prtege
                have you heard a yaris drive by you??? it says immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgayyyyyyyyy!!!!
                Originally posted by Turpro
                Fk the family. Drugs and hookers take priority first

bpt323: broom break
                CRZbrussian: that sux
                CRZbrussian: get swifer wet
                CRZbrussian: ****s aluminum

Comment

Man I thought this **** was suppost to "toughen me up", but after three days of sit up's and crunches...a sickly 10 year old could take me out ...after literally having to roll out of bed this morning, think I'm gonna' just work on arms next coupla' days.

Comment

Ive been workin out alot but not much cause i cant hurt myself because of work...last time i cut my finger just enough to bleed i got laid off for a week.lol
                    MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

Originally posted by 95Protege View Post
                      Ive been workin out alot but not much cause i cant hurt myself because of work...last time i cut my finger just enough to bleed i got laid off for a week.lol
                      LOL wtf do you work??
                      Originally posted by 90prtege
                      have you heard a yaris drive by you??? it says immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgayyyyyyyyy!!!!
                      Originally posted by Turpro
                      Fk the family. Drugs and hookers take priority first

bpt323: broom break
                      CRZbrussian: that sux
                      CRZbrussian: get swifer wet
                      CRZbrussian: ****s aluminum

Comment

Originally posted by Meltdownsky View Post
                        Man I thought this **** was suppost to "toughen me up", but after three days of sit up's and crunches...a sickly 10 year old could take me out ...after literally having to roll out of bed this morning, think I'm gonna' just work on arms next coupla' days.
                        It'll get better, give it a few weeks.

Comment

a few weeks wtf, after actually working your muscles, 1 day minimum recovery time before working that muscle again, most would even say 2-3.
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Now I'm not backin' off...just starting to see "improvements". So I'm just gonna' have to vary the routine as to get maximum benefits. This weekend will make 3 weeks since I've started working out and honestly never felt better. You know how the song goes "I hurt myself today, just to see if I still feel. Focus on the pain, the only thing thats real..."

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                              a few weeks wtf, after actually working your muscles, 1 day minimum recovery time before working that muscle again, most would even say 2-3.
                              What I meant by "a few weeks" was that after a few weeks of him lifting, the soreness won't be so bad, and it won't hurt to get outta bed.

I'll lift every other day if I'm doing a different muscle group. I'll lift the same muscle group again after 2-3 days.

Comment

Working...
                              X