cooling fans not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cooling fans not working

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I drive a '96 protege with the 1.5L engine. My cooling fans aren't running when they're supposed to. They work fine when I turn on my a/c, but they don't turn on when I'm stuck in traffic during a hot day, or during long periods of engine idle. So far my engine hasn't overheated, it just runs a little hotter.

Based on helpful info I found elsewhere on this forum, I checked my coolant temperature sensor. I checked it with an ohmmeter at various temperatures, and it checks out just fine, consistent with resistance values listed in my repair manual. So .... I looked for a faulty relay switch. I found the two identical relay switches in the upper passenger's side corner of my engine bay. I assume one of them is the one that controls the cooling fans during idle. Because the other one controls the fans during operation of the A/C... I held it in my hand and felt it clicking on and off. So, I switched the two relays, and no result. Both relays work just fine.

Besides a loose wire somewhere, what else could be keeping my fans from blowing? Did I check the wrong relays? Are there other sensors that determine when the fans go on, like an airflow sensor?

Also my engine idles very quietly now. Maybe I'm just not used to hearing it without the fans blowing. But this especially happens after I've been driving at highway speeds... the first traffic light I stop at, I panic thinking my engine stopped running. I have to turn off my radio and a/c to hear it, like its at a very low RPM. any help appreciated.

pls correct me if i am wrong here.

the fans are not supposed to work all the time. as soon as the engine get hot or above the normal operating temp then the fan turns on. just like in the morning when you warm up your engine, the fans are not gonna work so the engine can warm faster.

i believe our cars have 2 fans, 1 for the radiator and 1 for the condenser. as you stated that is why it turns on when you turn on your a/c.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

my fans don't come on at all, unless the a/c is blowing. even if my car is parked and the engine is idling at a high temp.

Comment

so its the fan on the radiator that is not working, check your relays.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
        Mods:
        DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

yeah relays and fuses...you can unplug the harness and put a volt meter on it and if it has power to it you need a new fan...
          MY CARDOMAIN LINK

STOLEN 09/28/2007

Comment

i checked my relays, and my fuses. Everything checks out. And both fans work when hotwired. By now i'm convinced that the pcm is deciding that the fans shouldn't run. i'm just trying to figure out why.

Comment

It was my 02 sensors. They were bad, causing the computer to run in continuous open loop condition. I changed them out today and now everything is back to normal, the cooling fan is working again, and hopefully I'll notice better gas mileage.

Comment

I had the same problem, i ended up just getting them replaced.

Comment

Working...
                X