TSB about pcv valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TSB about pcv valve

There's a techical service bulletin about excessive oil consumption due to non-MAZDA pcv valve. (see under 1st gen, at http://protegefaq.net/tsb/)

Somebody know anything more about this? I have unexplained high oil consumption, bad smoking on cold startup (more with car left standing longer), and lots of oil in my intake manifold. It'd be really nice if this was the cause!

nope. unfortunately those are caused by worn piston rings and valve stem seals.

however, the oil in your IM could be due to an old PCV valve. might as well replace it, its only a couple bucks.
    Last edited by EricM; 01-18-2007, 02:46 PM.

Comment

PCV...
      Rofl. (bringing this back to life)
      just replaced mine.(broke the old one.)

PAIN in the butt, dude.
      ok. i bought the cheapy one they had at Advance Auto Parts.
      like 3$ right?
      well it also doesnt have a rubber grommet so it does NOT slide right in.
      i was stuck with the bitch. and no ride at the time.

had to sand/cut/file the stupid thing and hammer it into the valve-cover.
      (had to work the next day. stuff needed to at least run, without spraying oil in my bay)

I like to abuse the smilies
      Built Ford tough, with Mazda stuff.
      __
      rAN: do you know the forum standard sig size?
      turpro93: How big you want it lol
      turpro93: There isn't one
      turpro93: Just try not to make it too big
      rAN: lol thats the thing, i dont want it big at all
      turpro93: Sounds like a personal problem lol
      rAN: rofl! bastard :D
      turpro93: That's going to be a good sig
      turpro93: Hahahahaha

Comment

On my BF i bought one a few years ago when i had a smoking problem due to what i thought was a old/clogged PCV valve. Well i bought a replacement and made it worse soooo umm yeah lets say its VERY possible that it can happen but its not 100% of the time. Get a good one from like NAPA or something which is what i think i ended up doing in the end!

PS: Are you using Castrol GTX oil? If so thats your problem right there. Both me and Jon noticed serious smoking issues with that oil for some reason!

PPS: I ended up going to regular cheap valvoline and that solved 95% of my oil burning/smoking on my BF.
        **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
        95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Working...
        X