Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to paint a non-colured plastic bumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to paint a non-colured plastic bumper?

How to paint my ugly stock non-colured plastic bumper?
    also I would like to know if anyone did it before and looked nice.
    1. 1990 Mazda 323 SE sedan , B3 8v R.I.P
    2. 1992 Mazda 323 GT hatch , B3 16v
    3. 2005 Kia Picanto EX , 1.0 12v
    4. 2007 Mazda 3 TC sedan , Z6 16v

Since the black bumpers are textured, meaning they're not smooth like the already painted bumpers i would suggest you spend some time and sand them down. Besides that you can easily just clean them up and spray bomb them to colour match your car.

JACK.
    -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
    http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

i don't know if they have this where you at, but Mothers "Back to black" works great. here's what it did to mine (the rear bumper compared to the front)

so you can save the labor and such and just polish the thing up.."back to black"
      Attached Files
      Originally posted by 90prtege
      have you heard a yaris drive by you??? it says immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgayyyyyyyyy!!!!
      Originally posted by Turpro
      Fk the family. Drugs and hookers take priority first

bpt323: broom break
      CRZbrussian: that sux
      CRZbrussian: get swifer wet
      CRZbrussian: ****s aluminum

Comment

yeah i agree with mazda powered sand with 400 sand paper and they sell some spray dont remember the name but it is for the paint wont peel off
        sigpicSLICK PROTEGE

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
          Since the black bumpers are textured, meaning they're not smooth like the already painted bumpers i would suggest you spend some time and sand them down. Besides that you can easily just clean them up and spray bomb them to colour match your car.

JACK.
          Of curse i will sand them down but I don't know what layers of colour or what type of colour I should use.(sand it,and then just paint with colour,or something else needed before paint?)

and what do you mean with "...and spray bomb them..."?

Comment

Well just make sure to properly prep the bumpers when you're ready for paint. You can use soap and water, or even a laquer thinner. With painting, it's always important to paint in strokes. Meaning you spray, release, spray, release.

Then for your first paint step you'll want to use a good quality grey primer. Put about 3 coats on, or until the bumper is one shade of grey. Wait for it to dry (20mins).

Then for your colour, you can go to any place that basically sells automotive paint, they should have a colour match section. Then give the bumper one coat of colour at a time. To much it could run, but to little and it could also spot! Then after about 3-4 coats the bumper should look pretty good.

To keep the bumper looking clean and new i'd suggest 2-3 layers of clear coat too. You could also bring it to a professional body shop and get them to spray the clear coat with a hardner in it.

good luck and keep us posted.

JACK.
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

if u go to a auto body supply they will get u the color for that car
              sigpicSLICK PROTEGE

Comment

Don't you need to tell them that its going on a "flexible" surface like plastic/bumper, etc. so they can add that little something that keeps the paint slightly flexible so that it doesn't crack and peel!
                **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2 View Post
                  Don't you need to tell them that its going on a "flexible" surface like plastic/bumper, etc. so they can add that little something that keeps the paint slightly flexible so that it doesn't crack and peel!
                  thats only in the clear coat.. base is always the same either on a hard surface or a flexible one. no need to sand the bumper with anything course. just a good scuff with some 800 wet. then wash it up with some alcohol and spray a wet on wet plastic adhesion promoter. about half an hour later with good conditions ua can start to spray your base coat. 3 even medium wet coats should give u good coverage and match. two nice coats of clear and you'll have nice new shiny painted bummer.. good luck

Comment

thanks boys,
                    today I will buy the two bumpers that are already painted in my color from a friend, he bought a new body kit and don't want the stock.

they are almost new

My fried said:""I will give them to you at a very low price,Just arrange a bbq-day in your coast-house dude and take them!!!""

--I AM VERY LUCKY--

Comment

Working...
                    X