X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about motor swaps....

Ok. I had an idea.
    Lets see how this works out. Lets not promote any flaming. Let just answer all questions and then move on to the next subject.

I usually get asked the same questions by like 10 different people. I really don't mind the Questions, but when I repeat the same Answer over and over . It's just that I figure if we could post individual questions.

Anyway. For anyone that has Questions about 2nd gen motor swaps please post them here.
    When this is done your Questions will be answered directly and if it has been already asked then you won't have to ask again.

Ok ! so whoever want's to be 1st go ahead.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

will a v8 fit in my protege like this crx?
    hehe, it's a classic pic... just had to post it
    Attached Files

Comment

this guy ! ... lets keep it serious ..

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Okay...for the sticky posts sake, assuming I want to replace my 1.5 z5 with the 1.8 bp

1. Which tranny can I use? Any special instructions/parts needed for different types of trannys (like F-series vs G-series)?

2. Which model/year Kia engines are interchangeable with the 1.8 bp?

3. Do I need bp mounts or are the z5 mounts interchangeable?

4. How much rewiring is involved? Which harness(bp z5) is the best to modify?

Comment

What I'd really like to see is a general guide on how to do this. I have a 98 SE (DX in the US) and I want to put the 1.8L engine in it as soon as I can find all the parts. However, I would like to have a general Idea of the process and order of removing the old engine and installing the new one before my more mechanically inclined friends (who restore old muscle cars) and I (who has no past experience) try to rip it apart and probably screw it up. Also I'm just trying to learn, and I could use an nice howto tutorial.

Comment

Originally posted by davens
            Okay...for the sticky posts sake, assuming I want to replace my 1.5 z5 with the 1.8 bp

1. Which tranny can I use? Any special instructions/parts needed for different types of trannys (like F-series vs G-series)?

2. Which model/year Kia engines are interchangeable with the 1.8 bp?

3. Do I need bp mounts or are the z5 mounts interchangeable?

4. How much rewiring is involved? Which harness(bp z5) is the best to modify?
            1. You can use the G or the F tranny. The G is supposedly stronger. If you can get your hands on the G then do so.

2. You would have to look into that at the junkyards or a kia site. I think it is 94-97.. I know I got a tranny from a 94 kia ( i think) and the motor in the car was a BP.

3. The 1.5 and 1.8 mounts in a 2nd gen 1995-1998 protege are the same ... There is no difference.
            what I did. - - change the front mount and filled all the other mounts with polyurethane.

4. If you use the 1.5 harness there is rewireing involved. If you use the 1.8 harness there is no rewireing.
            The 1.5 rewireing basically involves adding 3 wires to the MAF sensor, and running the VICS wire.
            You will also have to change most of the plugs on the throttle body and the block as they are different types of plugs.
            ** A 1.8 partial harness will come in super handy at this point.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by zshakespeare
              What I'd really like to see is a general guide on how to do this. I have a 98 SE (DX in the US) and I want to put the 1.8L engine in it as soon as I can find all the parts. However, I would like to have a general Idea of the process and order of removing the old engine and installing the new one before my more mechanically inclined friends (who restore old muscle cars) and I (who has no past experience) try to rip it apart and probably screw it up. Also I'm just trying to learn, and I could use an nice howto tutorial.
              To be honest. You really don't need an how to....
              see it's kinda like this. You pull the feul lines off, you unplug the whole wire harness. You unbolt the lower crossmember. You loosen whatever bolts you need to loosen and then the install is the reverse.
              Only thing you need to do is rember where everything goes. A good way to remember is to organize yourself. You have have everything in bowls or whatever and label them.

I had my protege apart for about 3 months ..lol and remembered where everything went.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                you do realize many general swap questions are answered in the FAQ right?
                Yes I do realize that, but I figure there may be some tidbits that people may want to know that could be covered here. Ofcourse they know to check the faq.

I get a lot of pm's asking me the same thing, so why not just have the answers to some items posted up ..

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Is That all? Thanks! Now I just need to find an engine.

Comment

hey bruce, mind if i post a few things? That way i can direct 1.6 323 => 1.8L swap over here too. there is a lot of similarities in swaps.

a couple of things with a BP swap. i know you have done it (twice?) one bp one gtr? 3 mounts are tranny mounts. front lower and rear lower. they site on the cross member for those who are wondering. (12mm nuts)

a good rule is to keep things together. if you pull a tranny pull the mounts that come with them.

the "F" and "G" series driverside mount is very different. if you want to swap in the "G" series tranny you will need to replace more than jsut the tranny.

F => G series tranny swap

for starters get a tranny. and the 3 mounts. the 2 lower mounts are identical, but it is easier to have 2 sets so that you can propeerly fill them with polyeurthane if you wish. The driverside tranny mount however is nessecary. (it is located under the battery holder.)

axles. the "F" series tranny has 22 spines, the "G" has 23. also 323's and some protege's dont have 1/2 axles. you will ned to replace axles. now an important part is to makesure you either buy your axles from a reputable place or get them rebuilt. axle boots do dry out, and crack.

The 1.8L DOHC BP Motor

ok regarless of what the engine had mated to it it can be used. if it had an automatic transmition, it still can be used. you will need to pull off the torque converter and the flywheel. the torque converter is held on by 4 or 6 bolts. I found that pulling off the starter motor, and destroying the gasket you could get at the bolts with an impact gun.

Make sure that whatever tranny you which to bolt to the engine, use the flywheel that was originally used with the tranny of your choice. F tranny needs an "f" flywheel. Both "F" tranny's from the 1.6L and the 1.8L will bolt to a 1.8L Dohc. and having an "F" series tranny on a BP engine is fine. you rare second gen'rs recieved one as stock with the BP.

the passenger side engine mount is what spaced then engine. the 1.5L/1.6L engine mount is longer than the 1.8L engine mount.

The fuel rails between the 2 engines are different. some people have has to extend a fuel line by almost 30 inches.

The wiring harness
                    On the 1.6L and 1.8L sohc ecu pin outs are identical. the DOHC ecu requires you to install 2 wires on your stock wiring harness. to you will need to add 1 wire for VICS and the distrubutor of the DOHC has 4 wires instead of 3.

the VICS pin is located on the 26pin harness. it is on the top row, forth slot in from the left. when looking that the plug side of the harness. so if looking at the back of the plug with all the wires comming at you the VICS pin is top row 4th from the right.

the 4th disty pin is located again on the 26pin harness. again on the top row, but 4th slot in from the right when looking at the plug side. or it is the top row forth from the left when looking at the harness, with all the wires comming out at you.

Plug side
                    v_________
                    ]********=====
                    ]********===== wires

if that makes any sense
                    Last edited by Protoss; 03-16-2004, 08:43 AM.
                    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                    So his engine he goosed
                    With much too much boost,
                    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

i have heard in the pasted that there is a 2.2L engine that could fit in the second gen pro's, is this true??

Comment

i'm not too sure. i know thje 2.2 will not fit into a first gen protege without custom mounts. im sure it will fit in the engine bay, but i dont know with how much custom work/modification.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

do u know the engine code for the 2.2?? i am having a hard time trying to remember where i saw the engine... i believe i have the money for the swap

Comment

ok you dont want the F2T. a BP swap will prove much more fruitful. but the F2T engine is out of the 88-92 mazda mx-6 GT and the same year ford probe GT.

i hope you have ~3000 to get this done. 6k if you are having someone else do it. don't forget to do some preventitive maintinence to the engine. new belts, gaskets, hard lines, plugs, disty, check the turbo for shaft play.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

if you are doing a swap from a 1.5 to a 1.8 turbo, is there a specific "turbo version" computer or harness that you have to use, or is it the same with non-turbo 1.8's?

Comment

Working...
                              X