This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brad98
    if you are doing a swap from a 1.5 to a 1.8 turbo, is there a specific "turbo version" computer or harness that you have to use, or is it the same with non-turbo 1.8's?
    I can't speak on a 1.5 to a GTX or GTR swap to a great degree because I have no experience in that area.

I can tell you this. The whole swap and install is a straight up and down bitc#. Nothing will come easy with that swap.

But a swap from a NA1.5 to a NA 2nd gen 1.8 is much more simple. (then u can do the turbo thing)
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

how much power could one get out of a turbo 1.8l bp? and i heard you can put miata cams in a bp is this true?
      real drivers accelerate for the corners

Comment

Here's a question I'm sure is one anyone will have to ponder over if they are going to do the swap: F Tranny vs. G Tranny. Really, what IS the difference? are the gear ratios the same? or is the G just stronger? if so, why is that? stronger materials?

Comment

I want to do the bp swap i have the z5. Can i use my stock wiring harness, ecu, and tranny? Thanks also do you know of any sites that might have the motor. If not i have a friend that could find one.

Comment

You need to actually use the 1.8 wiring harness, ecu and upgrade your tranny to the ES tranny.

check out Corksport, they might be able to help you out 503.252.5700 or goto corksport.com

Originally posted by thrasher125
            I want to do the bp swap i have the z5. Can i use my stock wiring harness, ecu, and tranny? Thanks also do you know of any sites that might have the motor. If not i have a friend that could find one.
            Patrick Sean-Tiu Santiago

Current state:240 whp and 215.6 ft/lbs torque
            FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
            Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

out of a stock 1.8 then turboing, i dunno if anyone has tried. bruce will be able to tell ya by summertime. out of my gtx, i'm currently running about 250 to the fly with 15 lbs boost. i've heard of some getting 350 with a bigger turbo and more boost.

as far as miata cams go, yes you can change out miata cams with the US 1.8 bp.

Originally posted by labikesrcool
              how much power could one get out of a turbo 1.8l bp? and i heard you can put miata cams in a bp is this true?

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
              Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

Can i use a 90-94 1.8L motor to get in my car? A 98

Comment

i don't see why not. i think it would be more work though to do that instead of throughing a 2nd gen 1.8. but i've never tried the 1.8 from a 1stgen. the gtx swap was a bitch though.

FOR SALE $9500

Cardomain
                  Mmmm...BPT goodness!!!

Comment

kl-ze in 2nd gen

This is sort of the same as a 2.2 turbo, but in my opinion a much better swap. A 2.5 liter V6 out of a mx-6. I am going to attempt this swap in early spring and I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions? I know I will have to do motor, ecu, tranny, and axles. Has anyone ever attempted this before? What am I getting myself into as far as wiring goes?????

Comment

Originally posted by zshakespeare
                      Here's a question I'm sure is one anyone will have to ponder over if they are going to do the swap: F Tranny vs. G Tranny. Really, what IS the difference? are the gear ratios the same? or is the G just stronger? if so, why is that? stronger materials?
                      there is a thead out there than explains this but i'll give you a quik summary.
                      The "G" tranny has shorrt gears than the "F", the "G" is a lot stronger than the "F" and can handle more power. good to 350bhp
                      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                      So his engine he goosed
                      With much too much boost,
                      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

1.8 engine-only!

bruce,
                        i'm not too sure on this...but what if i just want to swap in the 1.8L engine into my 95 protege, keeping the 1.5L clutch, transmission. what axles would i need to use? going about the axles problem is my only dilemma. later on i'm going to add the 1.8L tranny, stronger clutch, and aluminum flywheel.
                        late
                        Almost there

jdm tails... check
                        jdm bumper... check
                        ms lip... check
                        ms grill... check
                        ms sideskirts... check
                        ms rear skirts... check
                        ms spoiler... check
                        ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                        Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

I have a dilemma here..

My transmission is letting go
                          I have a 98 1.5L

eventually i do plan on getting the BP, but i jus rebuilt the Z5 head, so this motor is gonna stay for a while
                          however, i would like to get the G tranny now because i need one..
                          and use it on my 1.5L for the next year

and right now im trying to gather a list, cause soon as the weather permits me to work in the driveway (spring)
                          im going to get rid of this transmission, in place of another

i have had bad luck with the F and i do not really want another

if someone who knows for sure, could i get a clear yes or no answer please?

1. from what i could gather from this board, the 95 1.8L came with the G tranny
                          and once i make sure i get the 95 G tranny, my neutral switch and my reverse switch from my 98 F tranny will work..

am i correct??

2. with the transmission swap, an unorthodox racing flywheel is going on too
                          AAADEM, LLC - 2972 Beards Rd, Buford, GA 30518 - P: 949.478.5539

here it says that the same part number for the flywheel is used for the 95 and the 98 1.8L, which means the 1.8L flywheel from the 95 and from the 98 were the same..

is this correct, or a fault of unorthodox racing??

3. does the 1.8L flywheel used with the G tranny differ from the 1.8L flywheel used with the F tranny?

4. if that is the case, will a 1.8L flywheel used with the G tranny bolt up to my 1.5L motor?

i apologize for so many questions, its just that i dont think anyone has ever tried to do this, so im trying to make sure its an intelligent decision...

or if replacing my F tranny with another F tranny will be best...
                          eitherway im getting the flywheel

thank you

also, can you give me your opinion on the subject...
                          is even doing jus a tranny swap a good idea?
                          Last edited by pigeon; 01-22-2004, 04:55 AM.

Comment

if you just want to swap the engine, 3 of the 4 motor mounts are attached to the transmission, so all you need is the bracket attached to the engine (with the two mounting bolts) on the passenger side of your car. if you decide to swap transmissions later, you would need the front motor mount and bracket and would need to (maybe) change the intermediate shaft attached to the passenger side, but definately the driverside axle. rear mounts are exactly the same. you can use whatever flywheel you want (size wise) as long as you have the corresponding starter that goes with it.

Originally posted by 95pro
                            bruce,
                            i'm not too sure on this...but what if i just want to swap in the 1.8L engine into my 95 protege, keeping the 1.5L clutch, transmission. what axles would i need to use? going about the axles problem is my only dilemma. later on i'm going to add the 1.8L tranny, stronger clutch, and aluminum flywheel.
                            late

Comment

The flywheel should all second gen's. I seriously doubt it would have changed. Go to nopionline, I think they have the lowest prices for parts for our cars. They got one made by Clutch Masters and Unorthodox racing so check it out.
                              Last edited by Torped0; 01-22-2004, 12:54 PM.
                              Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

alright
                                thanks guys

im waiting till this transmission gets a fatal flaw before i undergo this procedure

but 5th, reverse, and second are all garbooge so it may not take too long
                                hopefully it lasts till spring, or else im going to have to pay someone for labour

Comment

Working...
                                X