This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Markley02
    This is sort of the same as a 2.2 turbo, but in my opinion a much better swap. A 2.5 liter V6 out of a mx-6. I am going to attempt this swap in early spring and I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions? I know I will have to do motor, ecu, tranny, and axles. Has anyone ever attempted this before? What am I getting myself into as far as wiring goes?????
    Make sure you have a hacksaw ready, because I can tell you a BP just fits in the 2nd gen....
    No way do I see a V6 going in there...
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by Torped0
      The flywheel should all second gen's. I seriously doubt it would have changed. Go to nopionline, I think they have the lowest prices for parts for our cars. They got one made by Clutch Masters and Unorthodox racing so check it out.
      Answer to Flywheel ??????'s

95 1.8 uses the G tranny flywheel.
      95-98 1.5 uses the F tranny flywheel
      96-98 1.8 uses the F tranny flywheel

don't anyone ask again or you get flamed automatically .... lol hahaha j/k (not)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by 95pro
        bruce,
        i'm not too sure on this...but what if i just want to swap in the 1.8L engine into my 95 protege, keeping the 1.5L clutch, transmission. what axles would i need to use? going about the axles problem is my only dilemma. later on i'm going to add the 1.8L tranny, stronger clutch, and aluminum flywheel.
        late
        If you took out your engine and left your tranny, axles, clutch and flywheel ...

What axles would you use for the transmission that you are keeping?

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

ACTUALLY.... i think there's a possibility that the kl-ze might fit into a 2nd gen. call me crazy, but having closely looked at the bpt in the gtr, there seemed to have been less room in the gtr than there is now with the bpt in my 2nd gen! i have more clearance btwn the intake manifold and the firewall with the bpt than with my Z5-DE. the turbo fits about where the precat is on the 1.5L. what's throwing you off is the fact that the radiator sits BEHIND the front frame in the 1st gen and mx-3 whereas the radiator sits farther INFRONT of the frame in the 2nd gen. if people have been swapping the kl-ze into first gen's then i think it might work since there may be adequate space. just have a sledge hammer incase you have to make it fit.

but there's still a problem with the rear-mount dilemna...

HMMMM.

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
          Make sure you have a hacksaw ready, because I can tell you a BP just fits in the 2nd gen....
          No way do I see a V6 going in there...
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is the original photo ...
            click for original
            You wanna tell me that a V6 is gonna fit in here..
            then shoot that's a shoehorn.. lol ..
            Last edited by bruce95fmla; 01-22-2004, 06:00 PM.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
              If you took out your engine and left your tranny, axles, clutch and flywheel ...

What axles would you use for the transmission that you are keeping?

ahhhh, that's what i was hoping you would answer?lol so how'd you keep your 1.5L tranny in the car?
              Almost there

jdm tails... check
              jdm bumper... check
              ms lip... check
              ms grill... check
              ms sideskirts... check
              ms rear skirts... check
              ms spoiler... check
              ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
              Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

I also have an mx-6 with a kf motor. Same size as the kl-ze just less hp. I still need to do some extra measuring, but I think it will fit. I was able to get a LS1 w/6 speed trans in my 97 m3, so I figure this should be a lot easier. I am worried about that darn power steering pump though.

Comment

Let me settle this v6 going into a protege. It will go in if you got money lol. Anything can work as long as u have money So.... i just settled it!
                  Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Bruce the V6's size across is ledd than that of a BP. it is the firewall to radiator that uou have to worry about. and if memory serves me right the volume of the 2ond gen is very similiar to that of a first gen.
                    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                    So his engine he goosed
                    With much too much boost,
                    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
                      Bruce the V6's size across is ledd than that of a BP. it is the firewall to radiator that uou have to worry about. and if memory serves me right the volume of the 2ond gen is very similiar to that of a first gen.
                      I just don't see a that motor fitting. I also don't think the engine bay of a 2nd gen is as big as my 323. Just by looking in the bay of my 323 I can see more room. But like with anything I could be wrong. I won't be the first to try it.. I rather the BP.
                      Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Q - What do I have to do to the 1.5 engine wire harness to get it to work with the 1.8?

A - With the 1.5 wire harness you have to make some modifications to it inorder to get it to work. The modifications are not hard and more info and directions will be provided on my site in due time. You have to use a BP 1.8L MAF as it flows more air than the 1.5L maf. You will need the plug for the maf and will have to run two wires from the maf harness plug to the 1.5L wire harness and they connect to the front and rear oxygen sensor respectfully. Depending on if you are using the 1.5l distributor you can use the 1.5 harness plug. If you use the 1.8 distributor, then you will need the 1.8 harness disty plug. A seperate wire will also have to be run to the VICS.

Q- Do I need a partial 1.8L BP harness?

A - Yes you do need a partial BP wire harness it will save you a alot of heart ache. The reason you need it is because the BP and the Z5 use different plugs for the tps throttle body and water temp sensors. (also the MAF). You will need these to splice onto your 1.5L harness to make things work.

Q - Do I need to run a extra wire to the VICS solenoid?

A - Yes you do need to run an extra wire to the VICS solenoid. You will also need to add an extra add the pin to the plug on the actuall wire harness plug that connect to the ecu. You need the VICS as your car won't idle properly during cold start and you will get **** for gas mileage.

Q - Do I need a different down pipe ?

A - Yes you do need a different downpipe. The 1.5 downpipe is to short and low and won't fit to the BP engine. You can get one from a junkyard from any BP (1990-1994 lx protege).

Q - Will I get a check engine light?

A - Chances are yes you will. The reason is mainly due to the rear oxygen sensor. There are ways to bypass this. I may put up something that I am working on to try and bypass the rear o2 sensor, but that ramains to be seen.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Is the Intake Manifold different between 1.8l and 1.5l? If so, i'll get an Essential Speed Intake Manifold instead of getting the Underdrive Pulley.
                          Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Yes the intake manifolds between the 1.8 and 1.5 are different.
                            The throttle body on the 1.8 is also much bigger.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

What will one of these motors cost...the BP, I got a 96 2nd gen and Im think about the swap.

Comment

also, if I dont do it myself where and how much is this swap going to cost

Comment

Working...
                                X