Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, next week I should be ordering a 1.8L off a 96 BP. Only prob is that it came with a Automatic. I know it should bolt-on, but what will i have to change asides da ecu,wire harness, intake manifold, and throttle body. Basically.... Will i have to change the oil pan or something? Any information on it will be appreciated. Thanks
    Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Originally posted by magicfox32
      What will one of these motors cost...the BP, I got a 96 2nd gen and Im think about the swap.
      prices range anywhere from 250 to 600 dollars +.
      check www.car-part.com for prices.

also, if I dont do it myself where and how much is this swap going to cost
      You would have to check with your local shop.
      There are many factors, like labour, parts, and so forth.

Just throwing a number in the air. The swap could run you 1000 to 2000 to have a shop put everything in.. Not including the engine. It really depends on where you go.
      Last edited by bruce95fmla; 03-30-2004, 06:12 PM.
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by Torped0
        Ok, next week I should be ordering a 1.8L off a 96 BP. Only prob is that it came with a Automatic. I know it should bolt-on, but what will i have to change asides da ecu,wire harness, intake manifold, and throttle body. Basically.... Will i have to change the oil pan or something? Any information on it will be appreciated. Thanks
        You may not have to change the intake manifold and throttle body, You can just get the plug for it, this is figureing that the engine would be coming with a partial BP harness. Once again I state, Purchase a engine with a full or partial harness . It will make your life so much easier.

Once you get the engine then you can see what you will have to change. You may not have to change the oil pan or anything else.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Sod id you keep your intake manifold?

Comment

yeah bruce kent here
            i can get the 1.8 and harness..will i need the comp too..( i really want to go manual ....)

Comment

Originally posted by mr kent
              yeah bruce kent here
              i can get the 1.8 and harness..will i need the comp too..( i really want to go manual ....)
              yes you will need the 1.8 harness and the engine.
              You will also need the ecu. However if you decide to go manual in the future you can still use the ecu and the same harness on the motor.
              bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Well im wondeirng, is anyone capable of finding another full 1.8l harness? If so hit me up wit a msg cause the motor im going to buy has already been taken out da car so they cut da harness

Comment

Well im wondeirng, is anyone capable of finding another full 1.8l harness? If so hit me up wit a msg cause the motor im going to buy has already been taken out da car so they cut da harness
                  i think you're plenty capable of finding another full 1.8L harness. just get some numbers, search the web, and make some calls. you are the only person who's going to make this swap happen. start searching on your own and quit depending on others.
                  Almost there

jdm tails... check
                  jdm bumper... check
                  ms lip... check
                  ms grill... check
                  ms sideskirts... check
                  ms rear skirts... check
                  ms spoiler... check
                  ms struts... check

Still trying for a bp swap..:
                  Fidanzda 8lb flywheel, ACT HD00, UR Crank Pulley, UR Adj. Cam-Gears, Exh-Intake CamShaft Swap, MS Engine Mounts, Custom CAI, PaceSetter Header, 2.25" in/out-let Magnaflow Cat, 2.25" Mandrel-Bent Exhaust.

Comment

well seing as how i cna't find any in this small ass town lol. Will the 95 1.8l harness work for it?

Comment

Aight, I picked up my motor and took it home. It was a 1.8l off a 98 protege with only 30k. My friend is going to take it to his shop and begin port and polishing the head with a 3 angle valve job. I also have the ecu which was made for the automatic which should have no problem. Although they were previously going to give me the 1.8l off a 96, they didn't take it out which they mistakenly said it was but it was actually the 98 protege with it out. Well I have a 96 wire harness. Everthing should with without a problem am I correct? I know the OBD went to OBD2 on the 98. So I hope it doesn' t affect anything because it is a 98. I also think i got the full wire harness. I'll try and take some pics.. From the looks of it, nothing has been cut so thats good news

Comment

Hey guys,
                        I was thinking about what to do to get some more ponies under my hood and this seems like the best bet(especially since i have over 190k on my car as it is), i just have a few questions about the whole deal.

what kind of tranny should i look for to replace my original?

how difficult is this to do considering I've never done a swap before?
                        (not that im clueless when it come to engines, but normally one doesnt try to cram a 6 into a 4 thier first time around... )

Also any one know about turbo applications for this engine?

anyone know someone whose attempting this?
                        (or someone who has already tried and failed)

and maybe after reading these post should i just give up and go with something else?

Links-
                        Corksport.com-2.5 V6 (KL-ZE)

Car info is in my sig, thanks guys!

P.S.- I know this has more than likely been discussed before but I couldn't find it too easy and I figure its a good way to get to know you all since this is my first post

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die" -Thomas Callaway

Comment

Are you trying to put the 6 cylinder motor into a protege?

Comment

It would be somewhat easy on a first gen, but a second gen, I would just say, skip it. Get a 1.8L 4 cylinder turbo (GTX or GTR), it's been done, and done well.
                            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Are you trying to put the 6 cylinder motor into a protege?
                              Yes thats what i was considering.

Originally posted by charles
                              It would be somewhat easy on a first gen, but a second gen, I would just say, skip it. Get a 1.8L 4 cylinder turbo (GTX or GTR), it's been done, and done well.
                              Hmm i guess ill have to take some more time to think about it....

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die" -Thomas Callaway

Comment

Well man, I'm not sure if anyone has put a 6 cyl into a protege... But if you are going to do it.. i'm sure everyone would love to see your results..

Comment

Working...
                                X