This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Torped0
    Well man, I'm not sure if anyone has put a 6 cyl into a protege... But if you are going to do it.. i'm sure everyone would love to see your results..

I'm going to take some time and rethink what i want to do but if i decide to go that route I'll be sure to document it well and post the procedure/results on my site... I'll prolly do that reguardless of which engine i decide to go with.

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die" -Thomas Callaway

Comment

Originally posted by Protege108th
      Hey guys,
      I was thinking about what to do to get some more ponies under my hood and this seems like the best bet(especially since i have over 190k on my car as it is), i just have a few questions about the whole deal.

what kind of tranny should i look for to replace my original?

how difficult is this to do considering I've never done a swap before?
      (not that im clueless when it come to engines, but normally one doesnt try to cram a 6 into a 4 thier first time around... )

Also any one know about turbo applications for this engine?

anyone know someone whose attempting this?
      (or someone who has already tried and failed)

and maybe after reading these post should i just give up and go with something else?

Links-
      Corksport.com-2.5 V6 (KL-ZE)

Car info is in my sig, thanks guys!

P.S.- I know this has more than likely been discussed before but I couldn't find it too easy and I figure its a good way to get to know you all since this is my first post
      You can use the same 5 speed tranny that is in your protege now.. Considering that your protege is a 5speed.

The hardest part about the swap is getting the 1.5 out the car and putting the 1.8 in the car. After that you just have to deal with the wire harness. That is discussed above in previous post.

As for turbo's you can use a GTX turbo and manifold or a GTR turbo and manifold. Just good luck finding one. lmao.
      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

put in the V6 in your car.Good luck P.S if it work sent alot of pics

Comment

engine swap

i have a 97 mazda protege lx 1.5l looking to do an engine swap. i have seen the 1.8lbp turbos for sale from cork sport but i know where i can get an mx-6 4cylinder 2.0 liter fairly cheap. wondering if anyone has any input on difficulty unforeseen expenses etc or if someone can recomened another engine... been keeping my eye on the 2.5l v6 kl-ze but kinda doubt it would fit. anyway any inpout would greatly be appreciated

Comment

I think the KL can fit in just fine. Overseas the second gen was sold with a 2.0L V6 (the KF). Like was posted before, it's the same dimensions as a KL. Therefore it should go in just fine. I think the only problem would be getting the mounts and crossmember, if needed.
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Originally posted by charles
              I think the KL can fit in just fine. Overseas the second gen was sold with a 2.0L V6 (the KF). Like was posted before, it's the same dimensions as a KL. Therefore it should go in just fine. I think the only problem would be getting the mounts and crossmember, if needed.
              drool... whats the output of those engines? like 200hp right? damn... although Im guessing that big of an engine would leave no room for a turbocharger which means more wait for the same horsepower? gtx engine is 200 right?

"Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die" -Thomas Callaway

Comment

Something like that. But the KL is an all-aluminum engine, so the weight is pretty close to the BP. I wouldn't want to do a KL swap, just saying it's a possibilty.
                2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Hey do you all think a 626 2.2 turbo engine can fit a 2nd gen?

Comment

GTX Full Conversion:

Hi all, I have a 1996 Protege 4WD with a B6DE and auto. I want to do a engine as well as gearbox convertion to gtx motor and gearbox;

anyone know what this may involve as far as the gearbox is concerned, is it possible, fit straight in?

cheers
                    phro

Comment

This 323F model 95-98 with a V6 and it use some of the parts as the 2nd Protege.

Comment

Ok got a 98 1.5L Pro. Gonna do the 1.8L swap. Got a few Questions.

1. Do i use the 95-98 1.8L BP engine or the Gtr Engine.

2. If i use the GTR what all do i need to make the engine work?

3. If i use our year BP 1.8L what all do I need to make it work?

4. Will my 5 speed trans work on either of these engine swaps?

5. Who makes a good farely reasonable turbo kit for our year 1.8L engines. Found one on Turbokits.com for 2799 includes intercooler and everything is this a good price?

6. Should i upgrade my radiator for either of these swaps. What about my fuel pump change it too?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I want to get everything i need so this swap goes smooth.
                        98 Protege LX 5speed
                        ACT Street Clutch Kit w/ hd pressure plate
                        Custom catback exhaust
                        Custom Intake
                        Proline 16x7 wheels and hanook ventus lp tires
                        Custom Mesh Grill
                        Clear Corner Lights
                        Custom M3 LED Mirrors
                        Corksport Familia Badging from 99 pro
                        Custom Flip Flop Trunk
                        Arospeed Gt Black Aluminum Wing
                        Hose Techniques hosing kit
                        Custom Valve Cover
                        Ngk IX Plugs/ Ngk Plug wires
                        Kenwood KDC-MP528 head unit
                        2 Mtx 12'' Subs sealed enclosure Mtx 250W class D amp
                        Coming Soon Erebuni Shark Style Kit

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                          You may not have to change the intake manifold and throttle body, You can just get the plug for it, this is figureing that the engine would be coming with a partial BP harness. Once again I state, Purchase a engine with a full or partial harness . It will make your life so much easier.

Once you get the engine then you can see what you will have to change. You may not have to change the oil pan or anything else.
                          Ok i'm in the process of gathering all parts. For the upper/lower intake manifold, it'll run me around 180. Unfortunately that doesn't come with throttle body and fuel injectors. My real question is, what all do I need besides the intake manifold and throttle body? Seeing as how bruce said i dont need to change the mani and throttle body, I'm really confused on what to get lol. If I get the same amount of power from the 1.8l manifold and 1.5l, i don't want to change it but if it'll make a difference, i'm getting rid of it. Is there a throttle body sensor? I have these basic questions. I went through some forums and didn't see anythign that could clarify my question.

BTW: I have the '98 full wire harness and the 96 auto tranny ECU.
                          Last edited by Torped0; 12-20-2004, 06:12 PM.
                          Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Ok I'm pretty much stuck on purchasing an intake manifold. There is only one in the nation and it would cost me close to 350 for both together. I was told it would be 180 for both. Can I use the 95-96 intake manifold on the 98 motor? I would think so. I also have a 96 ECU. Would it be better to buy the 96 intake manifold? if so i'll get it as soon as possible.
                            Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Originally posted by davens
                              Okay...for the sticky posts sake, assuming I want to replace my 1.5 z5 with the 1.8 bp

1. Which tranny can I use? Any special instructions/parts needed for different types of trannys (like F-series vs G-series)?

2. Which model/year Kia engines are interchangeable with the 1.8 bp?

3. Do I need bp mounts or are the z5 mounts interchangeable?

4. How much rewiring is involved? Which harness(bp z5) is the best to modify?
                              keep in mind that there is more than one z5 engine and more than one bp.
                              ok let me explain.
                              take the z5 for example.
                              both models have a cam position sensor
                              one model has a cam position sensor and a crank position sensor
                              the other has the cam position sensor and a eletric coil

ok all the jibberjabber. what im saying is that you need to find the same style engine so that the wiring will hook up with minor mods.

so if your engine has a coil it will have a mechanical distributer
                              if your engine has a crank position sensor the signal for the sparkplug to fire is electronic

and oh yea....the cam position sensor reads a magnetic thinggy on the cam itsself and tells the ECU when piston 1 is ready to fire. which is why when you start your car it turns over a few times before it actually comes catches. i think that is everything. oh and also the bp engine was only in 4% of all the 2gens to come to the usa. i wonder if you can get them in a crate straight from japan
                              I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                              |.....Overnight....................| ||
                              |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                              |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                              "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                              Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

2Gen GTX

Hey. I was wondering. is there a way to get the 1.8 GTX bpt engine into a 1995+ mazda 323? thanks
                                carlin

Comment

Working...
                                X