US/CAN What's the difference??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US/CAN What's the difference??

Hey, I am getting a 94' Protegé and I live in canada. I was wondering what the differences in the two makes are?

Does the US version have any better looking parts or upgrades that I could pick up from a junk yard?
    I'm Going to The US on the 27th of March so...

I plan on getting
    -new gage cluster.. for the Mp/h
    -Corner light for the passenger side

just wondering what would be good...I'm driving back if that makes anydifference..!!
    Last edited by 94''BlackStick; 03-21-2007, 09:51 PM.

Well, only Canadian Protege GTs got the BP DOHC engine, which was much fewer than the non-GTs, but in the US a decent amount of Proteges were LXs which have the BP. Other than that, Canada got the Familia GTX interior in the Protege GT compared to the US's MPV-inspired LX seating. I don't recall anything better or different about exterior parts other than Protege GTs have a red stripe on the bumpers and side moulding, the US cars do not.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

differences with Japan?

Comment

Originally posted by tunedbyjdm View Post
        differences with Japan?
        Jees, where should I start?

Japan, the Familia, had the B5 1.5L, B6, BP, BPT, BPD...AWD sedans and 323s, awsome interiors, horrible interiors, bunch of different bumpers(such as mine), 323 5door, on and on and on.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
        On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
        My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Originally posted by tunedbyjdm View Post
          differences with Japan?
          just look on an overseas BG forum in the pics section. Basically we got screwed like on most imports.
          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by MazKid View Post
            Protege GTs have a red stripe on the bumpers and side moulding, the US cars do not.
            Is the red stripe paint or 'pinstripe' tape?
            -Michael
            '90 Protege SE
            Originally posted by charles
            It's probably to fix that ****ing automatic seatbelt

Comment

^IIRC pinstripe tape on the front and rear bumpers. Door mouldings have this red plastic kind of built in (I guess glued) in the groove that runs the length of the piece.

Also, some info here on US/CAN differences: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...1&postcount=26
              ~ Stephen ~
              -1993 Ford Taurus LX (R.I.P.)
              -1994 Mazda Protegé SE (Canadian market trim pkg)
              -1990 Mazda 929 S
              -1991 Mazda 323 LX (Sold)
              -1992 Toyota Corolla LE (Davesfarm) <R.I.P. Sept. 2009>
              -1990 Toyota Corolla SE (Davesfarm) (still alive in 2013!)
              -1994 Buick Regal Custom (Davesfarm) <R.I.P. Sept. 2009>
              -1983 Pontiac Parisienne (Sold)

Comment

In Europe they got a 323 GT which was basically a FWD non-turbo GTX... if they'd have sold it in the US they would have had a real competitor for the VW GTI, Civic SI, etc... but they didn't.
                '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Cool_Steve View Post
                  ^IIRC pinstripe tape on the front and rear bumpers. Door mouldings have this red plastic kind of built in (I guess glued) in the groove that runs the length of the piece.
                  Ah excellent, thank you. You wouldn't happen to know the correct pinstripe color? I think Tomato Red is offered by 3M in various sizes.
                  -Michael
                  '90 Protege SE

Comment

^Sorry I don't know the correct color, but I'm sure any red will do. Darker the better, as red is a color that fades fast in the sun and turns to pink.
                    ~ Stephen ~
                    -1993 Ford Taurus LX (R.I.P.)
                    -1994 Mazda Protegé SE (Canadian market trim pkg)
                    -1990 Mazda 929 S
                    -1991 Mazda 323 LX (Sold)
                    -1992 Toyota Corolla LE (Davesfarm) <R.I.P. Sept. 2009>
                    -1990 Toyota Corolla SE (Davesfarm) (still alive in 2013!)
                    -1994 Buick Regal Custom (Davesfarm) <R.I.P. Sept. 2009>
                    -1983 Pontiac Parisienne (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by MADMIKE View Post
                      Ah excellent, thank you. You wouldn't happen to know the correct pinstripe color? I think Tomato Red is offered by 3M in various sizes.
                      3m has the 1/4 inch red pinstripe. i use that and its a perfect match. if that helps you out.
                      91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Originally posted by progt91 View Post
                        3m has the 1/4 inch red pinstripe. i use that and its a perfect match. if that helps you out.
                        I was eyeballing the 1/4" stuff, but wondered if it was something like 5/16s or 9/32". I'll go look for some right now, Thanks guys.
                        -Michael
                        '90 Protege SE

Comment

Picked up some 1/4" red pin striping tape that came in a roll of 35'.
                          I had hosed the car off the day before, yesterday I washed down the groove in the bumpers and door trim with straight simple green. kept wiping til the cloth came away clean. Did the front and back bumpers. Then did the side moulding. Looks pretty good. Yes I'll try and take pictures later. I think it makes the Blue paint look even better. The wife is not too keen on it, thinks it changes the look of the car drastically.
                          Last edited by MADMIKE; 06-05-2010, 05:31 PM.
                          -Michael
                          '90 Protege SE

Comment

funny enough, i just added the 1/4" red pin stripe on my USDM LX.
                            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Took a couple of quick shots.
                              Attached Files
                              -Michael
                              '90 Protege SE

Comment

Working...
                              X