Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp gauge not working on 1.5 Z5 engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp gauge not working on 1.5 Z5 engine.

Hi Guys,
    I'm new here and this is my first post so g'day t' ya all.

I have a familia 1.5 Z5 engine and for the last 2 years the dashboard temperature reading has not worked .

Anyway I finally decided to have a look and check the temp sender.

The only problem is , I can't find it !

Can anybody tell me where on the engine is it positioned ?

Thanks Mike.

Its near the EGR pipe.
    If your in a country that doesnt have egr look for a plug about 4inches or so away from the distributor.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Well, if you mean the temperature sensor, the Mazda Workshop Manual shows it here(indicate by the number 6 on diagram below):
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mannydingo; 04-16-2007, 10:58 PM. Reason: Change illustration

Comment

jorge, do you mind posting the next page showing what part number corresponds to what number?

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
        Mods:
        DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

Ok, Cerville, I edited the graphic above to include the whole page. The numbers 1 through 8 didn't come out clearly but you can count down and see what number it is if you can't read it clearly enough.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone but I am sure that the number 6 sensor is refering to coolant temp sensor for the ECU and not the sensor for the dashboard gauge ?

The car does have an EGR pipe but I have had a look and still can't see anything near there ?

Here is a picture of the thermostat housing with the number 6 sensor just to the right .

It really is a strange one this .
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Familiman; 04-17-2007, 02:16 AM.

Comment

I just woke up and read your last post to realize I had the same problem with a 95 I used to own. I couldn't find it back then either. I bought it like that and sold it like that. Here I am trying to help you with a problem I had myself. Strange that I didn't recall this until now.

Comment

well I have just had another look all around the engine and I am now convinced that the engine does not have a temp sender .I think the dash reader is just for the 1.8 eng model and not used on the Z5.

I guess I will just have to watch out for the steam rising from the engine bay if it ever overheats . ha ha !!

Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

It might be that if the temp sensor ever reads the temp as too high and after sending the info to the computer, that the computer then sends the signal to the temp gauge, somehow. I doubt it but I don't know what else to think.

Comment

You damn gauge is broken. Theres one temp sensor. You'll pop a cel if it goes out. Your gauge is broken. Get a junkyard one and exchange it.
                    Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by 98b/w pro View Post
                      You damn gauge is broken. Theres one temp sensor. You'll pop a cel if it goes out. Your gauge is broken. Get a junkyard one and exchange it.
                      WRONG !!!!!!!!! I changed the whole instrument cluster with one from the junkyard and it STILL didn't work though everything else on it did so I have a funny feeling if he gets another one, it's still going to be the same.

Comment

Whos to say the JY one wasnt broke. I've gotten about 10 gauge clusters and about 6 of them had all of the features working
                        Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Originally posted by 98b/w pro View Post
                          Whos to say the JY one wasnt broke. I've gotten about 10 gauge clusters and about 6 of them had all of the features working
                          The 2nd cluster was later used in another car. You are partially right. It was also broken, however, it was the odometer on the j/y one that was bad. It wouldn't turn on either car. On the second Proty, the temp gauge did work with the j/y one so something else was wrong with the car.

Comment

Working...
                          X