This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new valves??

i just got a rebuilt head from a friend and everything looks good. the ppl that rebuilt it reused the old valves. can i just buy some valves and put them in or do i have to bring it down to someone to have them seat them?
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

get new ones that are 3 angle cut and enjoy.

Keep in mind the BP will flow much better and make more power with a 15/45/75 vs a standard 30/45/60.

Corksport and other places offer SS valves.... GTR ones are an upgrade too as they are sodium filled.

new ones should fit so long as they are within spec of the OEM ones.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323 View Post

Keep in mind the BP will flow much better and make more power with a 15/45/75 vs a standard 30/45/60.

Corksport and other places offer SS valves.... GTR ones are an upgrade too as they are sodium filled.

cool. thats what i needed too know. thanks
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

no problem... if you have the cash, get ceramic ones.... but dont think that they wont cost you a pretty penny.
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

i know nothing about valves... but using my common sense those numbers are degrees? hence the 3 angles?

Comment

Originally posted by jamaican View Post
            i know nothing about valves... but using my common sense those numbers are degrees? hence the 3 angles?
            You would be correct sir.
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay

Comment

There's nothing wrong about reusing old valves... but there is a limit to how many times you can regrind the face of the valve.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
              Member of MX-3.com
              1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
              1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Is there any substantial advantage to getting a 5 angle or 7 angle valve job over a 3 angle?

Comment

Nope there really isn't

Comment

i made a big mistake and wasted over 140 bucks until i finally realized that it costs about 180-250 more to get the valves regrinded and all that. isnt it almost not worth it to spend money to replace valves??

sucks though cuz you already got your rebuilt. basterds shoulda done it right the first time

Comment

how do they put a 15/45/75 angle on a valve? or is it in the seat???
                      there isn't much room prior the 45° & cutting before it could verywell jepordize the seal.

I have a set of stock "06" (better then 05 intake valves) which have the standard 45° & then a 30° cut heading towards the stem. is this normal???
                      im not exactly sure what the order is when cutting angles on valves.
                      still quite new to that.

OEM heads only have 1 angle on them. 45° the seats have a 45°seat &a 70° from that for given flow or whatnot. very old technology in that senario.

this is a good thread to get aquainted with since it looks like my head needs a valvejob (seats are rough) a shaving & guides. its worked tho thats a plus
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Its the valve seat that recieves the 3 angles which will work fine. Valves will recieve a 45 degree angle.
                        Mx3 RS,BP-turbo
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805

Comment

I think this picture will help describe it.

I do believe ever since the first car there has always been 3 angles. The 30 and 60 are just relief angles for the seat matching 45 degree angle.

In the "stone age", sorry bad pun, they use to use stones to grind the seats. This makes it hard to get all the seat widths the same as you use 3 different stones, 30, 60 and 45 degree stones.

Today we have a very expensive machine that uses a cutter with all three angles and cuts it all at once. This ensures that the seat width are all the same and in the same place matching the valve.

5 angle is just a 15 and 75 degree on either side of the 30 and 60 respectively... this doesn't really make a difference unless you're doing F1 or Nascar racing.

For grinding valves... there is the standard 45. Sometimes valves can be 30 degrees but that's mostly only on industrial stuff. If a valve has the standard 45 and the 30 towards the valve stem... this is call "Backcutting" the valve. All that does is improve flow, very slightly. That like on my SS valves they use a swirl polish... also improves flow.

Hope that helps.

Member of MX-3.com

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

Comment

see thats the awesome information im talking about!!!! awesome information to know
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

That's what I do all day is rebuild heads... so I can pass this information on.

... and questions, hit me with them... and no, I'm not gonna rebuild your head.

I'm a knowledgable machinist... just need to be a better mechanic.

Member of MX-3.com

Comment

Working...
                              X