This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hehehe
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Since we're on the topic of valves.....

Where do you pick up titanium retainers, new spring seats and new keepers?

Benefits of changing the retainers to something non-stock?
      Drew
      '95 EGT 1.8
      T
      '93 ELX 1.9 SC
      '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

Originally posted by Skuce View Post
        Since we're on the topic of valves.....

Where do you pick up titanium retainers, new spring seats and new keepers?

Benefits of changing the retainers to something non-stock?
        I have seen them on Ebay. Try searching for Miata engine parts. Just make sure they are for the BP. The price of keepers was outrageous! I would think you could use stock keepers as long as you aren't shooting for 10,000 rpm or something outrageous.

Comment

I found a set of Supertech Dual-Valve Springs, Titanium retainers and Valve seats for $388 on ebay. No word on whether the stock keepers will fit the supertech retainers.
          Drew
          '95 EGT 1.8
          T
          '93 ELX 1.9 SC
          '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

whats the difference between a keeper & a retainer. i can't seem to visualize this right now
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

The retainer is the top disc that holds the spring down. The keepers are those 2 little nuggets that drop around the valve stem and stop the retainer from coming off the top.
              Drew
              '95 EGT 1.8
              T
              '93 ELX 1.9 SC
              '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

& the valve seat is the washer under the spring between the spring & the head i assume then?

Comment

Yeppers
                  Drew
                  '95 EGT 1.8
                  T
                  '93 ELX 1.9 SC
                  '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

wouldn't titanium valve seats be overkill??

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                      wouldn't titanium valve seats be overkill??
                      It certainly would seem that way. Hell, they don't move! And Ti is softer than steel...so...why Ti?...cool factor?

Comment

& the valve seat is the washer under the spring between the spring & the head i assume then?
                        Nope... that's called the "spring" seat. The valve seat is where the head of the valve mates to the chamber of the head. Lets stay away from valve seats on this discussion and talk about springs and stuff on the top of the head.

... and it's titanium retainers and aluminum spring seat... basically you are lightening the weight on top of the spring so it's less work for the spring to slam shut.

If you are using Supertech's crap, to which I am using, you need the 99+ Miata keepers/valve locks if you are using the titanium retainers. If you use the stock retainers you can use your exsisting keepers/valve locks.

By the way, titanium is stronger than steel and lighter...

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                        Member of MX-3.com
                        1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                        1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

dur i typed that in wrong mind's been fuzzy if you can't tell
                          what is the stock spring seat made of??? i don't believe its aluminum

Comment

It's funny...I "read" spring seat when you typed that Ryan. lol

Cat: Titanium "softer" than steel? Try cutting it....with ANYTHING!
                            Last edited by Skuce; 03-06-2008, 07:13 AM.
                            Drew
                            '95 EGT 1.8
                            T
                            '93 ELX 1.9 SC
                            '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

dur i typed that in wrong mind's been fuzzy if you can't tell
                              what is the stock spring seat made of??? i don't believe its aluminum
                              Yeah the stock spring is just a steel washer... the Supertech ones are a fat seat to raise the spring pressure, and it's aluminum.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
                              Member of MX-3.com
                              1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
                              1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

aluminum is softer then steel that part i don't get shades

Comment

Working...
                                X