low idle with AC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

low idle with AC

I'm new to the community, but I've looked around and don't see anyone with the same problem.

I have a 92 Protege dohc that runs well (around 800 rpm) until I turn on the AC. Suddenly, it goes down to 500 rpm and runs really rough. If I step on the gas a little and get it up to the 800 range, it runs fine. Is there something that governs the rpms when the AC is on?

Originally posted by kamesan View Post
    I'm new to the community, but I've looked around and don't see anyone with the same problem.

I have a 92 Protege dohc that runs well (around 800 rpm) until I turn on the AC. Suddenly, it goes down to 500 rpm and runs really rough. If I step on the gas a little and get it up to the 800 range, it runs fine. Is there something that governs the rpms when the AC is on?
    Maybe the AC just needs a shot of oil. Have you changed it over to R-134a? If not, be sure to use R-12 compatible oil.

Comment

the ac does pull draw off the engine which will drop the idle a bit. if it's dropping really low with a rough idle, you may have another issue which isn't as noticeable while under normal load.
      Seth
      2010 Mazda3 i Touring

Comment

Working...
      X