This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by me109 View Post
    I keep finding 4wd proteges in my area. One is silver with a great body and 206k miles according to owner. The other is harbour blue with 221k miles and really beat up. Both have the 5-speed and are from 1990. It's weird how they just turn up like that.
    Sounds like its time for a road trip. Nc isn't that far from me. Someone want to buy a nice lx when I get back from NC?
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

On a Canadian import place they had a genuine (as that NZ one looks fake) GTX Familia. Power folding mirrors, GTX seats, the works. basically what we try to do to our 4wds: BPT, power everything, GTX bumpers etc. My next 4wd will get that treatment.
      No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Originally posted by Turpro View Post
        Sounds like its time for a road trip. Nc isn't that far from me. Someone want to buy a nice lx when I get back from NC?
        Yeah, problem is they're not for sale. I just see them being driven around. If I do find one for sale (or convince somebody to sell theirs) I'll definately post it here.
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Hey does anyone have extra power steering lines for a 4wd? Mine are cut and I want my power steering back. Can anyone help? are rhd ones different?
          I just dont want to go to the dealer for this hose.
          1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

I'm in the same boat. For some reason, the GTX tranny actually touches my steering rack and broke one of the lines so no PS anymore. What a mess it made. I think that the fat hoses going from the reservoir are the same as for FWD, not sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by 323driver View Post
              I'm in the same boat. For some reason, the GTX tranny actually touches my steering rack and broke one of the lines so no PS anymore. What a mess it made. I think that the fat hoses going from the reservoir are the same as for FWD, not sure though.
              Oh that is weird. I have a few inches clearance with my GTR tranny. Afaik the only difference is the racks location and the hardlines across the top.
              here's a pic comparing the two, 4WD is the bottom one.
              No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Yea the one I need bolts to the top of the pump and is one continuous line all the way to the rack and pinion.
                1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Bump for more 4wd BG's!!

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

ya.. i'm here.. been here.. just hadrly show my face... had a 90 awd for a couple years.. blew the motor right after i got it.. hell ya'll should know the story behind that already lol. if not WTF!!!!

so ya. too much has happened for me to actually work on it.. so it still sits in a dirt lot waiting......
                    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

I've got a black 4wd protege 1990 automatic looking to do a manual swap...

Comment

Originally posted by Justbp-me View Post
                        I've got a black 4wd protege 1990 automatic looking to do a manual swap...
                        I have a extra usdm 5 speed 4wd trans. But your better off finding a GTX or GTR trans cause those transmissions have full time 4wd unlike the usdm trans with the electronic center diff.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Ya I would LOVE to get my hands on one. The problem is finding one.

Comment

Ya I would LOVE to get my hands on one. The problem is finding one.
                            Try Corksport or a import engine place.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Well I found a GTX tranny for 450 alls I need now is the shift assembly which is pretty hard to find.

Comment

Well I found a GTX tranny for 450 alls I need now is the shift assembly which is pretty hard to find.
                                I pm a friend of mine who might still have these parts. Ill keep you informed

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X