X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External wastegate on your GTX manifold

Im putting a 38mm external tial wastegate onto my stock VJ20 manifold
    Im curious for suggestions & information regarding steps or things i should look for.
    how big of tubing to use, what size hole to cut/where yadda yadda

all advice is welcomed
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

I would say put the hole right above the flange for the turbo facing your radiator. As far as size of hole and tubing I would make it atleast as big as the hole in your wastegate flange. Make sure to get the stock internal waste gate hole plugged well.
    My 2 cents
    Jason
    Yes Its 4wd woot woot
    sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

i was thinking about just welding the swing arm to hold the flap shut without moving. the flap has no play as its welded to the arm.
      the hole is fairly large since i used a VF10/8/12 flap & ported it. i forgot the measurement exactly, but i know its in excess of 19mm
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

talk to ocd-speed he has one on his manifold this will be some good info i was thinking about doing the same thing

Comment

I had one added to my BPT manifold...it's goofy because it goes off at a curve towards the passenger side of the car. Don't know if it works or not because my car isn't turboed and might not ever be.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
          On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
          My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

i put a frost plug the the wastegate hole and worked great.60/.63 t3, also you could just build block off, with a rod and bracket to hold the wg hole shut, i did both on one of my boosted egts seem to work fine.
            also remember that 38 mm tial is kinda big and bulky so room might be a problem.
            5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

yeah but there aren't really any good options for small in size wastegates.

Im mildly confused by what you wrote tho ryan, you plugged your wastegate holle with a freezeplug?

im not sure what you mean by building a block off with a rod & bracket

Comment

i think he said weld the flap shut

Comment

this is slowly becoming more & more of a reality... i just need a bit more $ & to cut my exhaust off to get the right tubing sizes, a little bit of die grinder work & a chunk of metal to weld into the flange & i should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
                    yeah but there aren't really any good options for small in size wastegates.

Im mildly confused by what you wrote tho ryan, you plugged your wastegate holle with a freezeplug?

im not sure what you mean by building a block off with a rod & bracket
                    yes i used a freezeplug to fill the wg hole on the turbo, and also made a bracket to hold the flapper door shut too,just make your own wg acuator arm/rod and make a braket to mount it to your engine/ or what ever you want to keep the flapper door shut.
                    hope this helps.
                    thanks ryan
                    5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

we'll have to see, im tempted to take my spare vj20 hotside flap close it, lay some quick tacks, remove the circlip from it with a grinder & finish welding it fully around to make damn sure its sealed, then relap the arm over it & add anoter circlip back in to hold the arm to the welded flap. or just tack weld the flap to the arm. that would also work too

Comment

I'm not sure if a freeze plug can take the extreme heat of the exhaust for too long without maybe becoming loose due to the contraction and expansion of the metal in those temp ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex View Post
                          I'm not sure if a freeze plug can take the extreme heat of the exhaust for too long without maybe becoming loose due to the contraction and expansion of the metal in those temp ranges.
                          i understand where your coming from, but it has worked for me without a problem and holds boost fine, but I also have the flapper door fixed in the close position. i would rather weld it shut, but welding to cast i can't do nor have i tryed.
                          thanks
                          5 boosted bp cars,why...

Comment

im going to have an experienced welder tackle mine w/30 years of experience & trained to weld underwater!!

Comment

External wastegate on your GTX manifold

just a thread to follow the progress as i go along on things.

today i had the hotside beadblasted clean for ease of welding the wastegate flap shut.

im still seeking the proper piping for the project. 1 step @ a time.
                              i'll make a list of all the parts & or place to buy such items & include it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X