Easy-to-Prepare healthy-yet-cheap foods? Suggestions plz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy-to-Prepare healthy-yet-cheap foods? Suggestions plz

Nice forum addition, never noticed this here before .

Got a question for you guys regarding the foods you eat. Mostly aimed at the body-builder types, not people trying to lose weight.

I personally need to gain weight so I'm curious what kinds of food are easy to make, cheap in cost (relatively) and are good for muscle-mass building that would NOT have negative impacts on the body (cholesterol/****load of fat/etc). Nutrition is also important....I'm currently using pills to get my daily allotment of vitamins & **** but still probably don't get what I should per day.

Post your suggestions here on what you prepare & eat yourself on a day-to-day basis!
    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

I'll start it off:

I personally think sandwichs are cheap to make & healthy. I can get a package of meat at Sam's Club for like $9-12 that'll make at least 10 sandwichs, get enough cheese for 20-25 sandwichs' for 8$ and 6 good hoagie rolls for $3. I usually only use some lettuce & mustard & I'm set (I ****in hate mayo, its basically pure lard).

Other than that...I eat a lot of ****ty foods like prepackaged cracker packs...cheez-it packs, cereal bars, frozen TV dinner type dealies
    93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
    02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
    05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

tuna, and not so cheap but still awesome, salmon
      sigpic

Comment

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

Every morning I eat:

- a bowl of cereal or bagel w/ cream cheese
        - a banana
        - a nutrigrain bar
        - a yogurt
        - a bowl of oatmeal
        - a tall glass of OJ
        - a vitamin or two

That usually holds me off until 10.

Comment

peanut butter, jelly time.

Also try to get a balance of vitamins and minerals from foods vs. pills as they absorb slower as the food digests rather than a massive onslaught of vitamins from a pill.

Comment

you can also buy weight gainer. it's like a protein shake but has like 2000 (i'm assuming healthy) calories in it.
            sigpic

Comment

the healthiness of a protein shake is debatable.

Just don't tell my GF...

Comment

Originally posted by pureliquidhw View Post
                the healthiness of a protein shake is debatable.

Just don't tell my GF...
                what? are you talking about protein shakes or weight gainer? i'd have a really tough time believing protein shakes are bad for you. weight gainer, i don't really know, i'll never need it so i haven't looked into it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by me19875 View Post
                  what? are you talking about protein shakes or weight gainer? i'd have a really tough time believing protein shakes are bad for you. weight gainer, i don't really know, i'll never need it so i haven't looked into it.
                  I think he was talking about shakes lol.
                  1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                  1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                  2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                  .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

dude, if youre working out and trying to gain muscle mass, you need to eat greasy, nasty fast food, take out pizza's etc etc. when you are putting on muscle mass you are burning so many calories it really doesnt matter what you eat as long as you are getting calories back into your system. you do need to supplement with a protein shake of some sort. make sure you use milk instead of water. also, depending on how serious you are aboiut working out, you may want to either find a protein supplement that has the 18 amino acids that help with protein synthesis or just buy them seperate. also, a creatine supplement can help when taken about 1/2hour before your workout. one thing about creatine, your body can only use 5grams a day, so taking 18393 grams is retarded and harmful. that much creatine will make you look fat and not cut at all because its just making you retain water in your body.
                    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                    -Benjamin Franklin

i wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself
                    -dedicated to sling blade, aka, meltdownsky

this is a horrible trick and should be deleted immedately - wheresthericego
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35130 - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

creatine does work wonders, but eating crazy greasy food might not be the best idea. peanut butter is your friend. bananas. meat and eggs a are great. those protein supplements you get at GNC do help as well, but taking the time to bulk up and get in the habit of regular exercise is a much better idea than taking crazy supplements to explode your muscle. if you are already tone and skinny, you could stretch your skin if you build muscle too fast.

Comment

Stay away from processed foods, not good for health and not cheap. Fruit and vegetables, fresh if possible but canned is okay. Whole-grains only. Oatmeal. Dry beans in bulk are cheap protein. Fresh whole chickens. Eggs. Whole-grained pasta for carbs. Learn to use spices to make healthy meals palatable. Learn to use olive oil, onions, and garlic.

Comment

wow old thread. ramen noodles ftmfw
                          I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                          |.....Overnight....................| ||
                          |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                          |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                          "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                          Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Originally posted by downtube View Post
                            Stay away from processed foods, not good for health and not cheap. Fruit and vegetables, fresh if possible but canned is okay. Whole-grains only. Oatmeal. Dry beans in bulk are cheap protein. Fresh whole chickens. Eggs. Whole-grained pasta for carbs. Learn to use spices to make healthy meals palatable. Learn to use olive oil, onions, and garlic.
                            dude, thats good idea if he wants to live a nice healthy lifestyle and do some jogging and whatnot, but if he's looking to build muscle and put on some serious mass, that kind of stuff is not gonna cut it. he'll need calories, the more the better
                            "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                            -Benjamin Franklin

i wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself
                            -dedicated to sling blade, aka, meltdownsky

this is a horrible trick and should be deleted immedately - wheresthericego
                            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35130 - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

**** my dinner alone probably had 1200 calories. 1 lrg pizza with 8 toppings mmmmmmmm dominos
                              I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                              |.....Overnight....................| ||
                              |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                              |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                              "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                              Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Working...
                              X