Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98/1.8 - 2 issues: CEL->O2, Trans

Hey guys,

I have a 98 protege with a 1.8/4speed auto. It has approx. 170000 Km (~100K miles)

There are 2 issues that I'd like some help with.

1st -

CEL came on a week ago. It left on its own a few days later, and the car seemed to drive just fine. Someone else drove it and reported weird behavior. Above 60KPH, the car was "really not happy" and the OD/OFF light was flashing. This has not happened since.

Took the car to a garage and they scanned it. They said the o2 sensor was fried. Repair would be $130 (part) + $70 (labor).

This seems excessive and ridiculous. I would like to know the following:
    -How involved is the replacement of an o2 sensor? Is it welded or threaded?
    -How many sensors are there? (2??)
    -Will a generic o2 sensor off ebay or a parts store fit? Anyone have a part number?

-2nd:

Transmission shift quality is awful and has been for a long time at large throttle openings. ATF was changed regularly. The kickdown is slow, and not at all smooth (sorta slams into gear). Low-speed/low-throttle shifts are just fine. I do not know if this is normal, or by design. Is the trans on its way out or is it something that can be adjusted?

Also, OD/OFF button works intermittently. Is it a problem with the switch of the ECU/trans?

BTW, I live in canada and we don't have any large part store chains here. I'd have to order off the net or through a garage....

Thanks!

Originally posted by King_Kubivore View Post
    Hey guys,

I have a 98 protege with a 1.8/4speed auto. It has approx. 170000 Km (~100K miles)

There are 2 issues that I'd like some help with.

1st -

CEL came on a week ago. It left on its own a few days later, and the car seemed to drive just fine. Someone else drove it and reported weird behavior. Above 60KPH, the car was "really not happy" and the OD/OFF light was flashing. This has not happened since.

Took the car to a garage and they scanned it. They said the o2 sensor was fried. Repair would be $130 (part) + $70 (labor).

This seems excessive and ridiculous. I would like to know the following:
    -How involved is the replacement of an o2 sensor? Is it welded or threaded?
    -How many sensors are there? (2??)
    -Will a generic o2 sensor off ebay or a parts store fit? Anyone have a part number?

-2nd:

Transmission shift quality is awful and has been for a long time at large throttle openings. ATF was changed regularly. The kickdown is slow, and not at all smooth (sorta slams into gear). Low-speed/low-throttle shifts are just fine. I do not know if this is normal, or by design. Is the trans on its way out or is it something that can be adjusted?

Also, OD/OFF button works intermittently. Is it a problem with the switch of the ECU/trans?

BTW, I live in canada and we don't have any large part store chains here. I'd have to order off the net or through a garage....

Thanks!
    95-98 proteges have 2 o2 sensors. bank 1 and bank 2. Threads, no welding. I run universal wideband Bosch sensors. You can find them at www.partsamerica.com part # for these is..... 15730 for both banks, I believe (this number is the actual part number for Bosch). Both of mine look exactly the same. I have only replaced the o2 sensor for the bank closest to the engine along the exhaust system. This is refered to as the o2 sensor pre-cat, to some parts guys, some just ask you if its bank 1 or 2 malfunctioning. 95-98 proteges have 2 catlytic convertors, a pre cat (a converter before the converter) stupid but we have 2. Search oxygen sensor or o2 sensor in the forum search. The answer is already here, no need to start a thread. This process is not involved whatsoever, one of the easiest installs I've ever done. Don't pay them that much, I bought mine for 60 bucks! Just buy from direct vendor, don't go ebay on this one. (I buy everything off ebay, trust me.)
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X