Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97-1.8 Protege rough idle when coming to a full stop

Hi

My first post here, I've read rough idle related posts but couldn't find a case like mine.

180000Kms, 1.8, Auto. Car starts and idles just fine, but when coming to a full stop first rpm's dropping from 1100 to ~250, shakes the car a little then jumps to ~1000 and finally stabilizes at about ~750 rpm.

It also has a loud muffler, sounds like a rally car, but Canadian tire said there is no leak on exhaust system. Engine has lost great deal of power and mpg became somewhat low, like 16-18 mpg in city. ( 12-14 Litres per 100 Kms )

I'm suspecting of a vaccum leak and a plunged cat. But I don't know where/how to start checking things and need your opinions.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Han; 10-02-2007, 10:01 PM.

a vaccum leak is a possibility. check any hose or tube between the flow sensor and throttle body for leaks.

Comment

hey this is my first post but do you have any updates im having the same exact issue same car i have a 1.8 es 97 protege auto 105k please let me know thanks im a honda man just came over to mazdas thanks

Comment

wow 3 year bump.

I had the same problem. I did several things. I had a dry rotted intake boot. I replaced that with a custom intake. I also bumped up my idle by turned in the screw on the throttle body that faces the front of the car. Also, ifyou can, test your sensors such as TPS(Throttle positioning sensor), your MAF(mass air-flow sensor) and o2's. Make sure your ignition is all good (plugs, wires, dizzy componants) then sea-foam your car. I did this check and now my idle loops only a tiny bit which is from my intake drawing in warm air from headers.

Comment

I had something similar on my bf. Turned out the stock intake pipe had developed a hole on the bottom from the heat of the header.

'88 323 sedan, K-swapped..

'03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege - miss it so much..

'01 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins - 323 hauler

Comment

exactly. Your intake is probably the culprit being that mazda REALLY cheaped out on the quality of that material. I mean, under no means should an intake boot melt or rot unless sitting unused for years on end. With a couple bucks or some custom work, create an intake.

Comment

ive had the same problem with my '98 lx. It only started doing it right after i put my custom CAI on it and it hasnt done it in a while but it would feel like it was about to die and it would start idoling really low i gave it little gas and it was good to go idk what the prob was

-Tires...205/40/17z
              -Spectre RAI
              -3a racing muffler

Comment

any updates or any more advice having same problems

Comment

yes..i am a mechanic in ireland..all the mazdas have this fault its exactly as the guys are sayin its your air intake pipe has cracked and is leaking resulting in mis reading from your air flow sensor..replace the pipe and your good to go!!
                  PROTEGE

Comment

Working...
                  X