October 2007 ROTM - jay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October 2007 ROTM - jay

This month's ROTM winner is Jay. Jay has a rare and powerful, but yet it's not a garage masterpiece. He's not scared to drive this thing, and drive it hard. His car has been overlooked many times, but now has officially earned it's place in ROTM history.

Congrats Jay!!

So I had a 323 GTX rallycar as my daily driver. I bought it 10 years ago when my commute involved late nights over a couple of the most dangerous roads in the state and I wanted something with a cage, that I could compete in occasionally. That GTX was my introduction to awd Mazdas. Later I wanted to rally it more, which meant getting another DD. I hate car payments so no evo for me, but then one day someone put this 323 GTR swapped Protege project on the market and I drove up the next day and bought it. He'd done a lot of the work but never got it running properly, so between the previous owner and myself it has:

Complete 323 GTR drivetrain swap from lugnuts to valve cover:Hubs, uprights, brakes, rotors, trans (viscous centerdiff), engine, turbo, etc.
    Factory GpA plate rear LSD
    Custom intake plumbing, Spearco FMIC w/homebrew waterspray
    Turbo XS BOV
    2.5" turboback exhaust, Magnaflow muffler
    MiataLink standalone ECU, RC 550 injectors
    AEM WBO2, Miata ignitor and CAS, HKS coils,Magnacore wires
    93 TT RX7 fuel pump
    Fidanza flywheel, ACT clutch
    Braided steel brakelines
    Whiteline swaybars, B&G springs, Tokico struts, Mazdaspeed bushings, Enkei wheels, GTR strut tower brace
    Porterfield made me some sets of custom pads for the GTR calipers, since no one makes performance pads for those brakes anymore.
    E36 M3 projector headlamps with HID's
    Passive belts have been replaced with Canadian-spec belts
    Aftermarket Sparco lookalike front seats

2700lb, ~320whp@22psi, not bad at all.

I like this car so damn much that, after I crashed the GTX while competing in the Oregon Trail rally, when someone told me that a guy in Portland used to rally an AWD Protege, I dug around and found his number, called him up and said "hey I wanna buy your car will ya sell it to me?" and he said "well, um, OK" and so that's how I ended up with two of these little monsters, one for the street and one for rally.
    Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Congrats Jay, well deserved!

Comment

Congrats on both of your wonderful cars!
      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Congrats Jay,
        Its about time, huh.
        Well deserved
        Jas0n
        Yes Its 4wd woot woot
        sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

after all my months of voting, you finally got it! haha! sucess
          No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Congrats jay. It's about time you grabbed the ROTM.

You are a lucky 5 lugger
            Last edited by Turpro; 10-11-2007, 08:23 PM.
            1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
            1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
            2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
            2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
            .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

congrats
              91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

more pics

Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Congrats.....Dammit I want one.... Oh well I just add this to my wish list 1 awd mazda protege if possible.

Comment

congratulations Jay!! a well earned recognition!!! awesome ride! great work!!
                    miss my '93 LX at every corner
                    photo album
                    Catch me on Facebook

Comment

Thanks y'all. Makes it a bit easier to justify spending the money needed to get the *other* one ready to compete again... just bought a GT28R turbo to replace the too-laggy T3, a WBO2 to tune with, and a Jacobs coil for more spark. Then suspension. And reinforce the strut towers. Then prolly new engine management. dayyyyum...
                      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

nice
                        Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger
                        Project Car - looking for a clean AWD Protege, or maybe a monster Miata donor

Comment

Congratulations, Jay!!! Well deserved, indeed. I hope to emulate what you've done.

Regards,
                          Joel
                          1988 323 GTX - Heavily modified

DJT Motorsports (Oak Park, MI) - like no other

Comment

****ing SLEEPER! Love it!!!! This is random, but I missed what turbo you are using on her?
                            1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                            1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                            2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                            2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

I'm using the gtr-spec VJ23 till it breaks, then we'll look at one of the GT series Garretts. But I'm hoping this turbo lives a nice long time cuz it works very well.
                              '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                              '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                              http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Working...
                              X