This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell Shading Tutorial w/pics

I thought I’d give you guys and gals a more detailed tutorial that the crash course I put in another post. This is MY rendition (paraphrased) of GlobeCLK’s tutorial @ www.clublexus.com. I would just refer to his tutorial but all of the “how to” pics have been removed. I am doing this in v6.0 because it is what I have at work. It works the same in v7.0 as well. Damn copyright infringement laws….can’t have my 7.0 @ work

So my thanks goes out to GlobeCLK for proving me with the knowledge so that I may pass it on to you.

Step 1: find a good quality pic of the car with some nice shadows on it and open in in photoshop (the obvious part)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GotBoost; 12-15-2003, 07:02 PM.

Step 2: click on “layer”, “new”, “layer” to create a new layer titled WHITE. Goto the “WHITE” layer properties and set the transparency to about 50% and using the paint bucket tool, fill it in with …you guessed it. White
    Attached Files

Comment

Step 3: create a new layer titled “OUTLINE” choose a 7-9 point brush with the paint brush tool (I use 7) and outline the car in black. you can hold down the shift key while doing this and it will pivot off of the last click made.
      Attached Files

Comment

Step 4: is a continuation of step 3. switch to a smaller brush (1-3 point) and outline the doors, windows, wings, interior, etc.
        Attached Files

Comment

Step 5: create a new layer called “windows” make sure it is beneath the layer called “outline” and above the layer called “white”. Select the layer called “outline” and using the magic wand tool select an area of window. Leaving the area selected change to the “windows” layer and fill the area in with charcoal or whatever other color you want using the paint bucket tool. After you have filled in all of the windows as desired go over the edges with the paint brush tool to fill any gaps.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by GotBoost; 12-10-2003, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Step 6: create a new layer titled “body color” and repeat step 5 except using the color you want the car to be and choosing the body panels rather than the windows. When finished, goto the layer properties for “body color” and lower the transparency to about 50%.
            Attached Files

Comment

Step 7: create a new layer titled “shadows” make sure it is under “body color and above “white” set the layer transparency to 50%. Use the Polygon lasso tool to select the areas you want to shade and fill the selected area in with Black and in places for contrast with a very dark grey.
              Attached Files

Comment

Step 8: change to the “outline layer” using the magic wand tool select the lights, then change to the “white” layer and press delete to clear the white out of the selected area. Now is also a good time to clear the black that is covering the rims from the “outline” layer. I like to use the polygon lasso tool for this but you can also use the elliptical marquee tool. I have also found it easiest to lower the transparency to about 40% on the “outline” layer while doing this and then raising it back to 100% when complete. When you delete the black from the wheels switch to the “white” layer leaving the area selected and delete that part of the white layer as well. At this point play around with the transparency on the “white”, “car color”, and “shadows” layers to get the desired result.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by GotBoost; 12-10-2003, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Step 9: Select the “outline” layer and somewhere towards the edge of the picture click on the screen. Then press CTRL + SHIFT + I to invert what is selected. Then click on edit, choose copy merged, open a new window or wallpaper that you want it on and paste it. Scale the image to the desired size and you are done.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Note: you can repeat steps 1-8 on the headlights and rims, but this gets very time consuming. As I usually do this stuff at work I generally skip that part, plus I kind of like the bit of photo realism that is left.

Now that I have gone to the work to create this tutorial for you guys. lets see what you can do!!!

peace,

Richard

Comment

Great tutorial. I gave it a shot but I need more practice.

Comment

lets see your shot @ it. can a mod Sticky this???

Comment

I'd show you but I didn't save it. I will probably try again after my finals today.

Comment

Damn no wonder I was confused at the end. I did it while you were writing it up and stopped right after the body color part.

Comment

ugly, sux, horrible, whatever, lets see your guys work. I want to make more tutorials but I need to see some response. now...that being said, lets see dem pics

Comment

Working...
                              X