Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choices, Choices

Alright guys and girls(if any holler)
    My friend has 2 12" Pioneers in a box he wants to sell me for $100. That's a pretty good price, but anyways, I want to go bigger than that. What are your guys' suggestions?? I thought about sticking 2 JL's in there (I am really impressed with their speaker) and I also heard about Elemental Design??? And then I though I want to do all my speakers in my car the same brand. Then Alpine entered my mind. So let me know what you guys think. PEACE!!!

oh please dear god don't go with the pioneers their subs are ok at best, their speakers are sub par, IMO, and their head units are the only thing they make that's worth putting in my car and i am speaking from experience, since when i worked at best buy i could purchase their products for about half what everyone else pays, so i tried most all of them.

with that out of the way, let's get down to business. get the whole "gotta purchase based on brand" crap out of your head. it's hard for most people to get past all the marketing BS manufacturers put out. as far as speakers go, this even more crucial. what i like in a speaker, you may hate. sound is a funny thing, especially in a car. what i like isn't considered the best for sound quality, but what SQ judges like for SQ, i hate you need to go around to local shops and demo speakers, preferably side by side. go to a place like best buy or circuit city that has a wall of speakers up, with buttons to change the speakers. then with a click of a button you get a side by side comparison. don't bother getting all one brand. usually you'll end up spending far more and comprimising certain aspects of the system. the front speakers are the most important, so focus your money and attention on those. get a nice set of components for up there, you will get much clearer sound from them. supprisingly a good set of components up front and a single sub is more than enough for most people. i went from 15's to 12's to 10's, and now since my brahma is still off for repair, i'm using two 8's, and am throughly suprised by what they can do. my recomendation would be to get a single K-series from elemental design, a 10 or 12, and put it in a ported box, like they have on their site:

$135 for the sub, and it only needs 300 watts to get some great sound out of it. a 75-100x4 amp would be a good idea to keep cost down. run the front channels to the front speakers, and bridge the rears for the sub.
    $285 for an avionixx amp.

let us know how much you want to spend, and exactly what you want

Comment

Working...
    X