Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check engine light?

I have a question....

I got a protege 1.6L '00 and the check engine light has never turned on ..I mean it should be turned on when I put the key at the on position right?

Originally posted by gerark0 View Post
    I have a question....

I got a protege 1.6L '00 and the check engine light has never turned on ..I mean it should be turned on when I put the key at the on position right?
    well mine's never been off, so I'm no help.

Comment

Yes, when you turn the key to the on position(not cranking) it should come on and go off soon after the car fires up.

Comment

my check engine light is out!!! my check engine light is out!!!
        (to the tune of Steve Martin's "the new phone books are here" if you go back that far)

had been diagnosed as a bad pcm, but it turns out there was a disconnected harness plug near the tranny.

that light was on when I bought the car, and the entire time the previous owner had it. probably saved me $1k or more on the purchase. unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by gerark0 View Post
          I have a question....

Sometimes the car has a problem and the owner removes the bulb when they go to sell the car. That way, people that go see the car don't know there's a problem. It could have just burned out but why only that particular one? Get the codes read by getting a hand-held scanner and plug it into the OBD2 port under the dash in case there is a fault. If there's a fault and the car is producing a code, you can't tell because the light doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by downtube View Post
            (to the tune of Steve Martin's "the new phone books are here" if you go back that far)

had been diagnosed as a bad pcm, but it turns out there was a disconnected harness plug near the tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by downtube View Post

that light was on when I bought the car, and the entire time the previous owner had it. probably saved me $1k or more on the purchase. unbelievable!
              Originally posted by downtube

I used that "the phone books are here" line at a concert once by yellling it out. My friends were cracking up. Yes, he should check out that harness first in case that's what has his light out.

Comment

gerark0,

Just to confirm what jewtewned said, I have the exact same car and the Check Engine light does come on when you turn the key to the On position without starting.

Comment

Working...
                X