Best way to strip paint off of bumper??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to strip paint off of bumper??

Just wondering what would be the best way to strip paint off of our plastic bumpers without damaging it ?? My bumper cover is looking horrible , I'd say a 1/4 of the paint has flaked off. I don't know which chemicals would eat through the plastic. Also what would be the best to remove laquer from the headlights? I have some laquer thinner but again dunno if it would damage it.
    94 LX

they sell paint stripper for plastic parts, you sould be able to get it at any paint supplier place
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

if u have a DA sander (orbital) ...sand it all off. gotta sand it before you repaint it anyways.or u could always hand sand it w/ 80 grit paper. it'll take a lil bit to hand sand but you will like the results when you put new paint on...same w/ the DA sander

as far as ur headlights. personally i would use anything to get the **** off.. and then buff the headlights. if you have that mothers ball deally doo. or any kind of car wax...you can buff the headlights back to clear....thats if they end up hazing over. but ur best bet is to prolly use an automotive laquer thinner
      92 Pro - Daily Beater and project- current frankenstein
      sigpic

Comment

dont take 80 to a plastic peice unless your gonna repair it. it will just cause u more headaches than u wish to deal with. You can find a good paint stripper for plastic. then before u paint it use a good plastic prep paste a a medium sctratch pad. then wash it really good with soap and water. do a final wash with a alchol type cleaner and spry a good coat of a plastic adhesion primer before paint.

Comment

yeh then the stripper soaks into the plastic's pores and you cant get it all out. either sand blast it or use like 320 grit paper on a da sander. (80 is for metal...*brain fart*)

no mater what you do...the plastic has to get sanded some how or use a scotch brite pad n scuff it up. paint has to bite in some way or another.
          sigpic

Comment

the stripper doesnt soak in if u use a proper plastic parts stripper

Comment

Originally posted by TiKi View Post
              Just wondering what would be the best way to strip paint off of our plastic bumpers without damaging it ?? My bumper cover is looking horrible , I'd say a 1/4 of the paint has flaked off. I don't know which chemicals would eat through the plastic. Also what would be the best to remove laquer from the headlights? I have some laquer thinner but again dunno if it would damage it.
              Start with hands or knife. Just make a tiny bit, then scrape it off with a powerwasher. I powerwashed my bumpers once and now I have got white spots on a red bumper.
              I really need to repaint this one.
              Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

Tiki, about the unwanted paint stains removal... you can use a product called 'M600'. It really isn't a name (Sikkens makes them too), it's a type. It's a lot like nitro or lava for lacquers, but it is not that aggressive, does not ruin glass or make a foggy appearance. It is actually just a very harsh degreaser which is used when prepping a part right before the paintjob. Just go and ask for something like it - Sikkens is premium stuff, but everything else should be fine too. Remember that M600 will not wipe off the paint already coated with varnish and dried... It's a very neat stuff when you **** something up.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

sikkens is junk. worst paint manufacturer ever. PPG is the way to go. I do autobody...i know what im talkin bout when i say the paint stripper will soak into the plastic pores. sandblast it or sand it. its gonna be way easier over all. the paint doesnt need to be completely stripped off, just get all the nasty **** off and get the majority of the rest off. get the clear coat and start into the basecoat. that'll be good enough. get it blown off. degrease it, prime it, sand it, prime it again, sand it and start ur 3 coats of base. clear it a couple times then wet sand the bitch...if wanted. shouldnt take ya to long to do it. a couple or 3 hrs.
                  sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't say it's junk. First you have to admit that you live in USA which can mean that you can get junk from Sikkens as we can also get American junk which is actually pretty decent stuff in America but when it is sold in Europe it is not.

Also another thing worth mentioning is where you live and use these product. Paints can be pain in the ass and it is really crucial that you use paints that are suitable for your climates. My friend's father is a bodywork expert too and he has used Sikkens for 30 years now and has never regret it. It really depends on the style and what kind of stuff you get.

It's like if you like cocoa chocolate or regular chocolate.

Comment

yeah i do hafta agree with you there. my personal experiences with sikkens hasnt been to good though.

and everyone has their own personal ways of doin stuff to. so if it works for ya...then hell yeah.
                      sigpic

Comment

Soda Blasting.

Will take off paint and not damage any of the substrate.
                        Drew
                        '95 EGT 1.8
                        T
                        '93 ELX 1.9 SC
                        '91 ELX 1.9

Comment

Working...
                        X