Possible turbo option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible turbo option

The new STi will be using an IHI RHF5 turbo. This turbo is a bit smaller that then VJ-23/RHF6 and would probably be a good choice for our cars. I know some complain about the lag on the VJ-23 so spool up should be better with this turbo. This might be a replacement possibility for those VJ-23 owners with worn turbos that can no longer be repaired. Might be a better route that the custom Garret CHRA.

Now the problem; Subaru uses an odd setup due to the boxer engine and exhaust routing so I highly doubt using one of these would be a bolt up affair. The good news is there should be a good supply of inexpensive STi take-offs as people go larger or rotated mount setups.

2005 Mazda 3

we currently can use the scooby IHI turbos by swapping the exthaust housings so im sure there is a way with minimum machine to do the same with these
    "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
    -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
    *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
    172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
    New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
      we currently can use the scooby IHI turbos by swapping the exthaust housings so im sure there is a way with minimum machine to do the same with these
      Is there anybody using the VF39? I thought about while contemplating my custom turbo setup a year or so ago. What exhaust housing do they use?

Some interesting info;

NVM it appears as though the previous VF series, 39, 34, 22, etc. were all RHF55 turbos so I wonder if the 08 is going with a smaller RHF5 or if somebody made a typo on Nasioc. The 06/07 STi switched to the VF43, wonder what it is? My understanding was a twaeked 39 to prevent creep and cracked exhaust housings.
      Last edited by Silentbob343; 12-31-2007, 09:55 PM.
      2005 Mazda 3

Comment

i think someone on the mx6 forums is using a vj11 vf39 hybrid

Comment

A viable option but if going through this much trouble, I'd rather go Garrett for the wide array of options available.

Comment

Originally posted by smoke187 View Post
            i think someone on the mx6 forums is using a vj11 vf39 hybrid
            yeah sicksix6 has posted all sorts of possible hybrid options.
            2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Working...
            X