timing belt/water pump/alt. belt help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing belt/water pump/alt. belt help needed

ran into a lil "issue" over the weekend and i was looking for other opinions...the belt that goes around the alternator snapped on me saturday. so sunday i kinda panicked cause i cannot afford to miss any work. i took the car to a mineke or something along those lines and they checked it out and i knew i needed a belt. so i asked them, if they had the time, if they could toss a belt on there quick so i had a vehicle to get back and forth to work with. they told me i needed a water pump done...uh, ok? they wanted some $750 to do the job and it wouldnt be done in time for work. so i ended up doin the belt myself and so far no problems (knock on wood). the guy at the shop said if i put a belt on it, it will continue to snap belts. teh cars got about 126k on it. anybody have any ideas? think ill be ok?

also im thinkin about building the 1.6l in my car. any suggestions? im just looking to make the car a lil more fun. i dont really want to go too crazy. are there any decent mods that can be done to the 1.6l? thanks alot guys
    02 Protege ES, 5spd

The water pump and alt share the same belt. If the water pump pulley is wobling or trying to seize up it can continue to snap belts. Make sure you also dont have a coolant leak from the water pump. But based on mileage it is a good idea to replace the t-belt and water pump if you havent already.

Comment

belt help needed

I had the same trouble with mine 2 years ago. It started squealing since I bought the car so I just tightened it a bit. Still squealed, tightened a bit more, nothing, then finally broke . I noticed that it squealed under heavy amp draw (ie; A/C and lights on) so I checked the alternator. It couldn't keep up at low rpm"s so it was harder to spin for the engine so I replaced it. No more problems
      sigpic My cardomain

Comment

Okay i have a 1994 kia sephia my water pump started leaking so i replaced it ....but since i dont work on cars i put the gasket on and didnt realize i needed a sealant....i drove it all together 5-6 miles it over heated cause the coolant just dropped right out ....i took it back home and took off the water pump bought new gaskets and rv sealant and put the sealant on and put in back in the car....there is no more leaking however the coolant isnt getting to the pump to cool down the engine....did i possibly damage a perfectly good water pump and have to go get a new one....please assist ....OH i have also replaced the timing sensor, thermostat and the tensioner pulley wheel .....

Comment

Hey openingyoureyes.....maybe you need to open your eyes and realize how old this thread is.
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I am well aware on how old the thread is....So does that mean i will not receive any input from you in regards to my problem? Or honestly if you could direct to a place on this site that would possibly give me some benefit....

Comment

Working...
            X