Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent engine misfire

Hello All,

I have a 01 Protege, 2.0L. There are approx 75,000 km on the vehicle.

My check engine light came on a couple of weeks ago. Before I got a chance to get to the garage, it shuttered, and almost cut out while I was sitting at a stop sign. It idled roughly for only a couple of seconds, and then ran fine again, but the check engine light started to blink. I brought it to the dealer (still had extended warranty). They read a general misfire code (no specific cylinder), and advised that I change the plugs, wires, and coils. I got a second opinion from my regular mechanic, who suggested to try replacing just the plugs and wires first. I replaced these and worked fine for about a week.
    Yesterday morning as I started the car, a similar thing happened...the car idled roughly, and sounded as if it was going to stall for a few seconds, but then ran smoothly. The check engine light came on again.

I brought it back to my mechanic again..same misfire code....he ran every possible diagnostic test, checked valves, coils, wires, etc...but could not find anything wrong.

I don't feel comfortable driving a car waiting for something to die to figure out what the problem is. Has anyone had a similar problem?
    thanks
    Dave

Check your EGR Pipe may have a bunch of carbon build up, or EGR Valve pin may be broken, not letting the valve close properly causing the rough idle.

Comment

^ second that, if the problem only happens at idle then it fits being a sticking EGR. Clogged EGR tube, clogged EGR itself.

Comment

A clogged EGR can do it but so can fouled spark plugs or a faulty ignition coil. You can switch the coils and reset the ecu and see if the code gives a specific cylinder misfire code. Then you will know which coil it is.
        AEM intake, Ractive exhaust, Tsudo header, Ecoated blanks, and a bunch of stickers

Comment

Originally posted by diehonda View Post
          A clogged EGR can do it but so can fouled spark plugs or a faulty ignition coil. You can switch the coils and reset the ecu and see if the code gives a specific cylinder misfire code. Then you will know which coil it is.
          I have replaced plugs and wires, and had the EGR cleaned, but I am still experiencing this problem. The code is a general misfire, but is not giving a code for a specific cylinder.

Other than the ignition coil, can you think of any other issues that might be causing this? I had all other systems checked....including fuel delivery, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X