February 2008 ROTM - wheresthericego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

February 2008 ROTM - wheresthericego

I'm happy to introduce February's ROTM winner, wheresthericego. He has a beautiful 2nd Gen Protege that is often times over looked, but this is one that deserve a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th glance to appreciate the hard work that has gone into it.

I'd like to be the first to congradulate him on ROTM!

Well this car was my first car. I got her when I was 17 and i've had her for almost 6 years now. She was in rough shape with 132k miles when I bought her. A few dents and dings and chipped bumpercovers. I wasn't complaining much as it was a Mazda and a 5 speed which is all I wanted. At the time I didn't konw what potential this car had and I started painting interior pieces white and putting stickers everywhere. I had a fart canister welded on and I was good to go. I kept the car maintained even though I was a broke ass highschool student and was constantly fixing things which started to turn me off of the car. It started having emission problems and thats where my nightmare began. After numerous inspection tickets and fines for the inspection being out I decided that I would sell her. I put her for sale for 6 months and nothing. No calls no hits nothing so I was at a loss. After not having a decent vehicle for a DD I decided that I would do the infamous BP swap. At the time it was a very daunting task as I have never done anything like that before. I found a low milage engine that I got from a junkyard in Maryland. I searched for a year for a wire harness with absolutely no luck so I got tired of waiting and called a online mazda parts dealer. He said that he could get me a brand new one for 800ish. I ended up getting it for 750 shipped with some misc bolts. At that time I started buying parts to give the engine a fresh tuneup. Also changed the timing and waterpump while the engine was out of the car. I got the ECU which was easy to get from a junkyard. I met Nick (OCD-SPEED) about a year prior to my engine swap. He helped me do the swap giving the poor car a new heart after sitting for a year and a half. I then had a new look at the car. I loved it. It was like a new child to me that I made. Something that I created. I removed some of the stickers and painted interior pieces. I have been putting money into her making her better ever since.

Suspension:
    KYB GR-2 struts I had to buy 2 sets, the first one I got ripped off and never got them.
    MMS 4-way rear adjustable swaybar
    Mazdaspeed front strutbar
    Cusco CBA Lantis Lower tie bar

Engine:
    1.8L BP DOHC
    F-series tranny filled with synthetic
    MSD Wires
    NGK plugs
    TB coolant bypass
    Custom CAI
    Custom Exhaust

Wheels Tires Brakes:
    17x7" Don't remember Brand
    Goodyear Runflats
    Powerstop drilled rotors and pads

Exterior:
    JDM tails
    OEM new front bumpercover and fresh paint on rear
    Flying M emblem cut on front
    Removed door mouldings
    Removed pin stripe
    Clear corners
    Clear rear reflectors

Interior:
    Tan to grey interior swap
    Flying M airbagon steering wheel
    Netami racing seats
    Shorty shifter and Veilside knob

Stereo:
    Exclusive...
    All tucked wires and hidden amp. Very nice install

Plans:
    Turbo (one day)
    Timing advance
    JDM headlights and corners
    Mazdaspeed 2.0 spoiler.

I plan on keeping her forever and keeping her looking simple. I'm glad I bought her as a first car and most people never bring a ****ty first car back to life. I've loved every second of it no matter how much it was annoying that stuff kept breaking.
    Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Congratulations.
    Hope to see it turboed soon
    IvarR

Comment

Congrats Nate
      1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
      1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
      2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
      2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
      .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Congrats, can't wait to see it finished with the turbo.

Jeff

Shop 506-577-6708
        cell 506-381-3503
        email danny@jdracing.ca

Comment

Congrats man, great ride!
          sigpic My cardomain

Comment

well deserved! congrats
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

congrats!!

Comment

Nice

Very nice clean ride. Dont often see 2nd gen ones done up over here

Comment

Congrats man
                  1993 Protege SE

Comment

Not too often you see a 2nd gen in here.

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

nice job on redoing it. Keep it coming.
                        CMan, CMan fly, CMan Zoom!

I need to find a girl that can compete with my car, but it's hard to find a girl that can give a BJ as good as my turbo.

Comment

hey just wanted to let you know that your ride is nice and clean looking. keep up the good work on it.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the awesome feedback
                            I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
                            |.....Overnight....................| ||
                            |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
                            |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
                            "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
                            Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

awesome car. so clean
                              www.mazdatech.org
                              http://www.cardomain.com/id/mzrz6

Comment

Working...
                              X