• Show
Clear All

1990 4WD Protege

1990 4WD Mazda Protege

$3250 OBO

See more pictures:

150,000 Miles

Automatic transmission

One owner, Woman driver. This is my wife's car which she bought new.

Non Smoker, No Dogs.

Clean Title.

No modifications besides the after market cruise control which was installed by the dealer.

All in all the car drives fine. It's just 18 years old and it was time for us to replace it. The car has treated us well.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll do my best to answer them. Also let me know if you want more detailed photos.

Here's what I know that could be fixed.

Driver side door sticks. You must pull the door toward you then push it for it to open.

Driver side door armrest is broken. I have a replacement which I never installed.

We have three of the original hubcaps.

The clear coat on the hood and quarter panel is peeling.

Small dings on the passenger side of the car.

The lock on the passenger side rear door is hard to pull up.

Small oil leak. I can take pictures of the drive way showing the extent of the leak if you're interested.

The front left front tire has uneven wear. I assume that means it needs alignment.

Could use four new tires but the tire that was on the front drivers side definitely needs replaced. This tire is now on the back.

Parking brake is not working.

The lights on the radio do not work.

The tape deck does not work.

The beep that warns you to put your seat belt on would go off intermittently. To make it stop, I removed the fuse years ago. This means the automatic seat belts do not work like they should.

The drivers side seat belt is frayed.

A/C does not work.

Every once in a while the belt squeaks.

Needs new brakes.
    Attached Files

3200 with an automatic, the body damage, and all those problems? You have to be ****ing kidding..

Comment

spend some money on cleaning this up! in this shape you will be lucky to get a 1000 for it. buy some engine degreaser and use it. you can get it @ any auto parts store (its called super clean it comes in a 1 gallon container) as for the drivers door having to pull to open greese your striker plate in the door mine had the same problem and grease fixed it right up. realistically your looking @ maybe a 1500 dollar car if you find the right buyer but thats really still to much for a 1st gen pro thats cleaned up looking as good as you can get it. you do have the 4wheeldrive but still it will never be worth what your asking
      Check out the Pics
      sigpic
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=228
      Mazda's Rule Honda's Drool

Comment

id hate to admit it, you have a rare car that is the envy of many on here... but alot of the 1 gen owners/lovers dont have that kind of money reguardless especially for an automatic... id have to agree the car is probably worth 1500 on the high side...

id just say dont get your hopes up on a new car because if its dependant on the sale of this it will be a while
        There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

drop the price by $2000, and throw in a lot of extras, because that's in worse shape than mine, and it's far from worth $1200. I'll offer you $800, because that's fair for the amount of work it would take to get that back into a reliable shape.

oh yeah, and you missed one of the for sale rules: 10 post minimum or a mod to vouch for you.
          No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

I do have to say (because mine was in a lot worse shape then this) that at most it's a $1500.00 car. As has been said by others, you will be lucky to get that. If I had $1000.00 right now I would probably do it, as long as it is rust free. You can look at pics of mine in my VB gallery and with all the work that I have done to mine, I would realisticly only expect to get maybe $3500.00 for it (even though I would ask for a lot more) its still as you said an 18 year old car. Good luck with your sale, and if you decide to drop your price (by quite a bit) feel free to PM m, and maybe we can work something out
            Jason
            Yes Its 4wd woot woot
            sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

lol lol lol lol. I mean its awesome that its AWD, That thing is in rough shape. I'd give 1k for it just because of it being AWD
              I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.

._________________________
              |.....Overnight....................| ||
              |.....Japan Parts.................| |'|";,___.
              |_..._...____________======||_|_|...,]
              "(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)
              Oh and by the way that shot in your banner with Vin Diesel's car getting shot, thats a civic not an altezza.

Comment

Yea no offense but I got mine for way less and it already had a gtx bp26 turbo motor and extra jdm goodies. The going rate for that car should be about $1000 at its current state, and if you repaint it and clean up the interior you might get $1400. Plus its auto and 4wd shifter cable linkage isnt easy to come by, but the 5 speed trans is easier to get. Your car is nice and a real 4wd but you do need to lower your price alot.
                Last edited by TurboProto; 02-10-2008, 08:38 PM.
                1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Before I posted the car, I was told I was being ambitious asking $3250 for the 4wd. I appreciate the tips on how to clean the engine and fix the sticking door. You guys know a lot more about this car than I do. I just know with a some work, this can be a really sweet car again. Like I said I my original post, I'm willing to take offers but I won't give it to almighty4wd for $800.

If there happens to be any mountain bikers out there, I'm looking for a high end hard-tail, preferably steel, mountain bike. If it's something I like, I would be willing to make a trade for the car.

As far as posting the car here even though I don't have ten posts... I have read the rules and I understand them. A couple days go, I contacted Jho and he gave me the go ahead.

Comment

Good luck selling the car. I wish I had money to have a 2nd 4wd car that I could play in the dirt with.
                    1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

your not to blame for your high asking price...

all i can say is (what i said before) i hope you dont need the money because it wont be comming in any time soon. you have a 1500 dollar car in GREAT shape and you have 600 dollars worth of work (tires, allignment, brakes, electrical issues, oil leak)... without you doing the work you cannot expect a full "good" condition asking price. now if you want to spend that 600 dollars just like flipping a house you may be able to pull 1800 out of her (given you replace at least that back door too)... the fair market value of this is around 800 as mentioned. the point of not fixing stuff is to dump it off and get it out of your hair making it a decent deal for for the repairer not to gouge the buyer on the purchase then make him fix everything...

the bluebook on this is about 1125 (just did it real quick) and thats not really taking into account the work that still needs to go into it thats "decent running condition" and id say bad tires and bad brakes doesnt really fit into that catigory yet it doesnt really drop the car into poor yet either...

id say almighty4wd is spot on with the price
                      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

I actually went and looked at this car Friday and the body damage on the passenger side really isn't as bad as it looks in the pictures. Needs rotors and probably pads on all 4 corners... Oil leaks are in common places for Mazda B-series engines... Engine turned over fine didn't smoke at all.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
                        1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
                        1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
                        1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
                        1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

I have a mountain bike stored in my friends basement.
                          lol.
                          Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                          kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                          Originally posted by HopelessCow
                          there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                          Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaC View Post
                            Before I posted the car, I was told I was being ambitious asking $3250 for the 4wd. I appreciate the tips on how to clean the engine and fix the sticking door. You guys know a lot more about this car than I do. I just know with a some work, this can be a really sweet car again. Like I said I my original post, I'm willing to take offers but I won't give it to almighty4wd for $800.

If there happens to be any mountain bikers out there, I'm looking for a high end hard-tail, preferably steel, mountain bike. If it's something I like, I would be willing to make a trade for the car.

As far as posting the car here even though I don't have ten posts... I have read the rules and I understand them. A couple days go, I contacted Jho and he gave me the go ahead.
                            I am sure you are feeling somewhat discouraged by all the low figures for your car, nobody is lowballing here, these are realistic estimates for your car.

Even in Canada where prices are usually higher than the US you wouldn't get close to your asking price. Most of the fixups are minor things you should have done yourself and serve to drag the price down left as is. By the way nothing makes a look a clunker like black steelies, a cheapie set of hub caps from Walmart would do a lot to brighten it up and look less neglected.

Even if the car was well maintained, missing or broken arm rests, missing hub caps, minor all leaks all left undone give the overall opinion the car was not taken care of.

Pat.
                            sigpic

Comment

Like I said before, I was warned that I was asking a lot. I know these cars are not easy to come by and there are people out there who want this car. I have never seen another 4wd on the road. A friend of mine who used to race rally told me how rare they are and people are always looking for the 4wd Protege. That's why I posted it here. I figured I would offer it up to you guys, the Protege enthusiasts. I know the car has some problems and needs work but these problems are not major. I have listed every thing my wife and I could think of that is wrong with the car. From what I gather while reading this forum, most of you guys would be able to fix these problems with ease then you would have a solid 4wd Protege. It has been made clear to me that $3250 is too high so I'm open to offers. If you are serious about making an offer, please PM it to me. Also, I know most of you guys are not in my area but if any locals want see the car, send me a PM. You're welcome to come over and inspect it for yourself.
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X