Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear brakes aren't as easy as they looked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brakes aren't as easy as they looked!

Ok so I went to help my daughter out and replace her brakes. The fronts were a piece of cake but when I got to the rears I wasn't able to sing the caliper out far enough to access the pads due to the parking brake cable. I'm aware that the assembly is integral and was unsure as to the correct procedure and how to disconnect the cable to gain access to the pads. (I admit it, I'm a Ford Guy) Can anyone give me some direction on this so I can get her car back on the road?
    Thanks so much
    Mark E.

Loosen the park brake cable in the cockpit first, then unhook the cable. However you'll probably need a deep socket otherwise you'll have to remove the console first.

Don't forget to adjust the caliper piston when putting it all back.
    Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

those rear brakes are cake nothing needs to be done with the e-brake cable to change the pads.
      2002 protege ES/ header/2.5" exhaust/ CAI/ mazda speed cams(FROM JDM protege)/tein lowering springs/AWR 95 durameter motor mounts/B&M short shifter/ revised mazdaspeed limited slip differential/ exedy clutch/ fidenza light weight flywheel/ tokico struts/awr adjustable sway bar endlinks/stock wheels painted black W:riken raptor tires.

Comment

Remove the bolt on the back side of the caliper to expose the alent screw inside of the threaded area. Then you can loosen the pressure on the pads adn slide the caliper up. When you put the new pads on you can tighten or loosen the allen for fitment.
        AEM intake, Ractive exhaust, Tsudo header, Ecoated blanks, and a bunch of stickers

Comment

if you aren't carefull with re-adjusting that e-brake you will fry the pads, also those little hex bolts strip easy so be vary careful. i thought you were trying to remove the cable from caliper and thats not needed.
          2002 protege ES/ header/2.5" exhaust/ CAI/ mazda speed cams(FROM JDM protege)/tein lowering springs/AWR 95 durameter motor mounts/B&M short shifter/ revised mazdaspeed limited slip differential/ exedy clutch/ fidenza light weight flywheel/ tokico struts/awr adjustable sway bar endlinks/stock wheels painted black W:riken raptor tires.

Comment

Originally posted by mazdaman2002 View Post
            if you aren't carefull with re-adjusting that e-brake you will fry the pads, also those little hex bolts strip easy so be vary careful. i thought you were trying to remove the cable from caliper and thats not needed.
            What and how to do in case the little hex bolt striped? I am going to change the rear brake pads for my 2002 protege. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X