Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm building a vj14 ex. housing/chra w/ vj11 turbine, compressor, and compressor housing. It think it's the most bolt-on friendly hybrid you could do.

Comment

Hi bgdriver,

what a downpipe did u use? if i want to use the original downpipe, what had to be changed? Do I have to short the downpipe and add the flange a little deeper? or would it be enough to bend the downpipe?
      Can u take some pictures of your new downpipe?

thx for ur for help!

ps. sorry if my english is not so good, i'm from germany ;-)

Comment

wth is that vj11 doing at 20psi?!??
        http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47653

my fs thread

Comment

Yea.... soooo.... what's the latest? I too want to know what down pipe you used. You mentioned earlier that you bought a new one. Stock replacement? I'm trying to figure out for sure if I can just use my stock down pipe from the GT or if I need to replace it or mod it. I heard that I can use it and that it should be a direct bolt-up to the VJ11 elbow exhaust. Is that true?

Comment

what needs to be done to hybrid the vj14/11 i have a spare 14 and i know my local j/y has a couple turbo probes (is that what the vj11 is from?) If you keep the exhaust housing from the 14 can you use the original down pipe? how much power can you run with that setup?

Comment

All you will need from the VJ11 is the compressor housing and the wheel. You will have to take it out of the car to get the parts off of it. Take all bits to you local turbo shop and have them put it all together with a new kit. You will then have a complete bolt on affair. Then it will look like this

Clay

Comment

any solid dyno numbers for the hybrid 14/11? i have a chip 2.5" dp and 3" pb back with electronic boost control and am looking for 250 awhp will this setup get me there?
                adam

Comment

Originally posted by 89GTXGO! View Post
                  any solid dyno numbers for the hybrid 14/11? i have a chip 2.5" dp and 3" pb back with electronic boost control and am looking for 250 awhp will this setup get me there?
                  adam
                  I pulled 137hp at the wheels, to establish a baseline.

Comment

On another thread someone mentioned that they felt as though boost didn't really kick in until about 2750rpms with a VJ-11 as opposed to about 2250rpms with the VJ-14. What about the hybrid? Is there some extra lag with it?

Comment

Some.. it'll be around the mid-point if i had to guess. so around 24-2500ish. maybe the lower end of that.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
                      1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
                      1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
                      1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
                      1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

what psi is the hybrid good to/ will it flow a better cfm?

Comment

yes its good for more CFM. its a nice jump over the VJ14

its good to 14.5psi before it starts superheating the air
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

yes its good for more CFM. its a nice jump over the VJ14

its good to 14.5psi before it starts superheating the air
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Barely here any more. Use the VJ-11 o2 housing with a custom downpipe.
                              Fast, cheap, reliable: pick two.

1992 Mercury Capri XR2 130xxx miles SOLD

1990 Honda Civic SI
                              186k 10:1 hybrid motor
                              d16 on 10 pounds will turn ya out.

sigpic

Comment

hey guys, i dont know a whole lot about turbos and especially turbo hybrids, i know HOW a turbo works, but different names and numbers dont mean a whole lot to me. i do know that i have a vj14 on a BPT in my 88 gtx. i also know that i have a vj11 on the shelf in my garage, would a vj14/11 hybrid be a good upgrade for my car? my car is only running at 6 psi right now and i have dyno sheets saying i am making 169.5 HP. i also am running a Microtech standalone system.
                                any info would be really appreciated

Comment

Working...
                                X